1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wire for modchip installation

Discussion in 'PS2' started by 50/50, Mar 27, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50 Member

First of all, greetings; I'm new. Hope to get settled in quickly.

I've heard all of the recommendations as to what wire to use (22 gauge for 5v, 3.3v, and ground; 30 gauge for data wires), but wanted to ask if one type of wire was any better than the other? Copper wire? Speaker wire? Does it matter, as long as you have the recommended guages? I've heard some people use telephone wire. Anyone with experience care to help me out with this?

I have some experience in soldering--enough to know that every type of job has its quirks, things you'll never know about until they happen. I've never installed a modchip before, so I'd like to cover all the possible angles and hopefully make my first install perfect.

Thanks._X_X_X_X_X_[small]I long for the day when I can be fitted with an electrical cranial interface so I can simply plug in and recharge: no more eating, no more sleeping.

Imagine all the time I'll be able to waste.

[/small]

2. mrpain

mrpain Member

No speaker wire isn't gonna work. Its 22awg-32awg wire not 22-32gauge wire. Also the mod chip is a little bigger then a postage stamp (thats small) And the wire aint no wider then dental floss. You might wanna leave it to the pros but if not here's a site you can order wire. http://the-console-corner.com/ps2_magic_chip_3.htm

3. 50/50

50/50 Member

Ah. Now, that makes a helluva lot more sense. I've seen the Magic chip, so I know how tiny it is.

Thanks for the kick in the right direction.