1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wire Question

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by benagain, Dec 28, 2004.

1. benagain

benagain Regular member

OK guys I have a question. I'm helping a friend install a chip in his PS2 and we're gonna try and use the right wire this time (last time we used the stuff that came with the chip and it was real thick and time consuming to use). The only place in our little town that we could find 30 gauge wire was in an assorted pack of 22, 26, and 30 ga. The only thing that's confusing me is that it's labled as Magnet Wire and is enamel-coated. We're not gonna use it until we're completely sure that it will work without messing anything up. I need some help clearing up this matter from anyone who can help.

2. msnmods

msnmods Member

You found that at Radio Shack I assume. They also have the correct 30 ga Kynar wire that you need, but I forget what they call it. Anyway, that wire will work, but be VERY careful. The enamel coating can scratch off and contact any number of components on the mainboard during install. Turn your machine on and it's smoked... Some people swear by the enamel wiring because it's easier to strip the ends (it melts). I'd recommend against it if you've never modded a system.

3. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

I agree with msnmods, try and get the proper kynar wire if possible, its so much easier to use.