1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Interference on Belkin N1 Vision.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MaSHi, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

Hi all,

Heres my problem i keep getting. I have a Belkin F5D8632-4 v1 (the one with a lcd display on it) and i have setup my wireless and Ethernet connection with it.

I have 4 wireless connections at home: Mums laptop, brothers pc, My iphone and my brother ipod touch. All connections are established but, out of randomness the router stops all wireless connection and does not re-establish it's connection with all the wireless devices.

My thought would be interference but it should automatically re-connect all wireless devices, right?

When all wireless are down. my brother seems to restart the router every time his internet is not working.

Even when the Ethernet (that i am using) but brother doesn't care and resets the router causing my downloads to stop..

it's getting very annoying, especially when i play online on my Xbox.

Thanks

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Here you go ~ Belkin N1 Vision

*edited for spelling*

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

thanks for posting.. I've found a firmware update that will apparently stop the disconnection every 2hours but i doubt that it will work.

It also tells you to manually stop the ntp update via the developer console. for me, that didn't quite work

thanks.

4. creaky

Yeah i'd read about the firmware and stopping NTP in a few different places, it does seem to work, keep us posted

5. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

I have had exactly the same problem with the same router.I did get problems when i had a cordless telephone near the router this was moved and yes the disconnections stopped.
    Although i have had other problems but funnily enough were eventually traced to my incoming connection being defective in bad weather.When it rained my cable incoming conection obviously didnt give me a full signal and the router kept freezing.
    Soon as the weather was ok the router preformed well.It is a sensitive router indeed.
    Good luck.

6. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

After the firmware update from F5D8632-4_WW_1.00.06 to F5D8632-4_WW_1.00.09, i got disconnected again and this time it's Ethernet as well!! but after i reset the router to the default and entered my isp details. i couldn't connect, then i realised it could be the ISP went down.

I'm going to leave it for another week and see is static IP is better than DHCP.

7. creaky

I know the (Beta) firmware is supposed to make the N1 stable, but i read somewhere that turning NTP off also solved the issue. Try that as i don't know exactly what's in the firmware update

8. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

I tried doing what the website told me to do which is;

* Browse to 192.168.2.1/wukongjiuwo.html
    * Type PS into the command bar and click the enter button
    * Find the NTP process in the list of processes, easily identified by looking for NTP - it will also list the time zone you're in.
    * In the command bar type in kill [process number] (in our case it was 323, but may differ) then click enter
    * You're done, the router will no longer update it's internal clock every two hours! However you'll need to re-apply this fix every time the router is restarted.

but everytime i use the kill 378 command and enter. i then refresh the page and it's still there but under a different number.

9. creaky

I've been googling and can't find anything else. That Beta firmware seems to be working for most people that i read about having problems, the odd comment i read about where it didn't work didn't have any other workarounds, so it seems that the Beta firmware should do the trick.

What you say 'reset the router to it's defaults' after the firmware update, are you sure the router is still at the new firmware version ie is it still on F5D8632-4_WW_1.00.09 ?. Other than that i don't know what else to suggest, the Beta firmware is from May 2008 i think, and there isn't a newer firmware..

10. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

Yes, after i reset the router to the default settings. the firmware is still on 1.00.09 which i assume is the latest one.
    So far, after using the static ip addressing, things are going pretty good. hopefully the wireless wont d/c

will keep you posted :) thanks for help.

11. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

On my belkin i went to menu then settings then from here found the firmware version,there is on here an option to upgrade,but it checks itself if your internet is still connected.My did not upgrade as it said i had the latest version.It was at this point i had a spare modem(the old netgear one i replaced with the N1 belkin with).Installed this temporary and even this started crashing.At this point discovered it was the incoming cable signal to my house,it is a possibilty.
    Hope you get it sorted.!!

12. Janjooa

Janjooa Member

I have the same issue with my Belkin F5D8632- keeps freezing and dropping all clients

I have been running the latest beta firmware 1_0_0_9 since launch but cant pinpoint what the bloody issue is. I have updated my laptop to the wireless n drives fir wifi.

Belkin support is useless. Its an Indian call centre. The best they can do is offer an exchange produt.

My ISP is O2 UK.

13. creaky

Can't help over and above the info/fixes in the above posts and as you're on the latest firmware the best thing you can do is try to get it exchanged for a decent router..

14. MaSHi

MaSHi Member

I think I fixed my problem by assigning each PC to a static IP instead of using DHCP. After 2 weeks of static IP, my connection are stable and rarely disconnects.

As for Janjooa case, i would try setting it to static. might work for you aswell.

Good luck.

Martin.L

15. Janjooa

Janjooa Member

Thanks for this Martin.L

I will try static addresses and report back, Have also changed wireless channels to 1 extended 5 and disabled Qos and changed DSL modulation mode to ADSL2+ I only get 8mb from O2.

Will apply static address to all devices eg iPhone, Blackberry, Wii, PS3, 360 all laptops and desktops etc etc.

I have also killed the NTP process on the ps command line. Belkin support is appalling for the UK. FW 1_0_0_9 is rubbish too fingrs crossed for the newer firmware- but wont hold my breath it Belkin we are talking about ; )

16. creaky

Indeed. There's a reason why there's no Belkin routers in my signature. I do swear by some of their products, PCMCIA cards, KVM switches etc, but i got stung by two crappy Belkin routers years ago and haven't had a disconnection issue ever since then, when i moved to Buffalo and Linksys.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  17. Digittt

Digittt Member

Man...I have long since stopped loving this router. I just want it to work. I am having the same problem, have been on the latest firmware for ages.

As of today I have tried the Kill NTP thing, but the NTP service keeps popping up again with a different number. How do I really kill this?

Next step is to toss it - it's got really bad recently, crashed 8 times today. Pain.

Digittt