1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless issues

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by dyerblak1, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dyerblak1

dyerblak1 Member

I have a linksys router. I had it just set up for unsecured for a few weeks and I then put a network code on it. I set it up and went through all my wireless devices. Psp-perfect. My father in law was over and he had his laptop-perfect. Now the problem...my laptop wont work. I can connect without a code, but not with. I have gone through so much I am losing my head. I have tried unhooking the wireless zero config, remove and add a new connection...still wont work. any thoughts? wireless card? The one thing I have noticed is when I click on the word connect and it pops up the network code it is 8 dots long. I reenter the right code and still nothing...is it have a code of its own?

2. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Wireless can be a pain sometimes.

Would you agree that wireless cards generally don't go bad?

I think its the way your network is set up.

Have you tried to reset your router? You might have to start over from the beginning. Try pushing the little pin button on the back of the router and unplugging it to clear the settings. Then start with the manual to set up your network. I hated wireless for a long time just because every little thing would make the world of a difference.

3. gamer17

gamer17 Regular member

your wireless card probably has a static IP address set on it. if it does that ip address might be different than what your router is setup to work with. go into control panel. click classic view if it isnt already. click network settings. right click on your wireless connection. click properties. scroll till you see internet protocol TCP/IP click on it (once). click properties. change the ip and dns to auto. click ok. then click close. it will hang for about 10 seconds and then the window will close. try connecting to the network with the network key again. it should work now, if your router is setup to hand out DHCP. if you have problems still. call your router manufacturer and have them help you.

4. dyerblak1

dyerblak1 Member

I did try to set it to auto but it was already set. What makes this problem a little different is I can connect easily when I dont have a wpa code set. Otherwise when I click on the little icon in the tray on the bottom of my screen that says unable to connect I put in the correct wpa code and it tries but never connects. I have even went into my advanced settings and tried to change it there. The problem I think is it doesnt seem to keep my wpa code. For instance if my code is 10 characters long, when I put into the settings and it doesnt work when I try again the hidden dots are always 8. which means to me it isnt even trying my code. Any thoughts.

5. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

will it connect if you have the wpa encryption disabled?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes

7. dyerblak1

dyerblak1 Member

yes it does! No problems.