1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless lan

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mcgrath, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mcgrath

mcgrath Member

hi i am in nead of help i have got a wireless lan network bridge do nt no anything about this hardware no make/model/no stats whatever now this will connect me to any unsecure wireless internet but i need to use this on my encripted wireless network any one out there can help me do this as i said dont no anything about this bridge so cannot supply any information is there any software out there that i can use to search for this and get a mac address so i can access the bridge
    many thanks kevin

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You say you have a bridge, so why can't you hold in physically in your hand and look at the make and model?

Second point is how do you intend to use a bridge to connect to your PC, a bridge is normally used to expand a network range, ie. 1 at either end of a link (2 buildings) then connect to a wired lan at each end, you can if desired add an access point on to a remote end and connect to that, then through the bridges to the gateway onto the internet.

3. mcgrath

mcgrath Member

yes i can hold this in my hand but there is no markings/lables on the item in question even when i have took tis apart there is nothing to identify it we have had this working on 2 computers/xbox 360 all pluged in via ethernet lan on aunincripted wireless network

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You should just be able to set windows to view all available networks, any access point which is transmitting its SSID beakon will be picked up, as long as encryption is not set, then you should be able to get it working.
    That only leaves the network address, default gateway address and DNS, if DHCP is enabled then you should be assigned a spare address from the pool.
    If not you will need to know the address range and assign a spare one to your PC.

If you can't see the SSID because its not being advertised and you don't know it, your not going to ever get it working.

5. mcgrath

mcgrath Member

thanks for your help looks like when i look for available networks i am only finding the built in lan/ethernet card in my computer and not the bridge looks like this is never gona work
    kevin

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

There may be freeware network sniffer that you can download and possibly see the network traffic.

I'm lucky that I have both Omnipeek software on my laptop which works as a wireless network analyser + I have access to an Observer dedicated network analyser which has the wireless suite installed, so there's almost nothing I can't capture and diagnose but I appreciate that 99.9% of people don't have access to these tools, as such I've never needed to try and freeware to see how good they are.