1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Laptop to PS2 Network adapter!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by teg9, Dec 16, 2003.

1. teg9

teg9 Member

just got this idea, and I'm pretty sure someone here might have tried it or someone here for sure is good enough to find out a way to use a wireless laptop's internet connection usable by the PS2 and its network adapter by using the spare ethernet jack on the laptop. There's gotta be a way for sure. Anyone? Anybody knows a good Computer geek forum where I can ask this question?

2. teg9

teg9 Member

3. teg9

teg9 Member

4. Twanger

Twanger Guest

So you want to get a connection from your laptop's wireless internet to your PS2's wireless Gameing adapter Right?

5. teg9

teg9 Member

yep! It's much complicated that I thought. Wifeys been complaining about my late night sessions with online games so I need to move the PS2 out of the bedroom and do it wirelessly. Anyone up for the challenge?

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Just so happens I'm a networking professional and have some ideas but I need more information. Is it the Internet connection that's wireless or the LAN? Do you have any 10/100BaseT Ethernet jacks? Do you have a Wireless Access Point?

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Also, what kind of Internet connection do you have and how are you connecting your laptop to it?

8. teg9

teg9 Member

ok I'm using a 802.11b wireless router (Netgear MR814) to share my cable internet through my network which is one wired and 4 wireless.My laptop have the built in wifi card,10/100BaseT Ethernet jack and I have an extra ethernet card that I can plug in if needed.

I figured instead of buying this linksys game adapter http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AJVBW/002-4443827-0003260?v=glance
    I'm pretty sure that with right configuration I can do the same with a wireless laptop. On the first link that I posted the last setup option is what we're trying to go for. But I see on xbox they have this software xboxconnect running on the computer thats automatically setting up the connection which I'm sure you can do manually.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The device you provided the link to would by far be the best solution to your problem but I'm getting the impression that cost is more important to you. You could do a search for that device on www.pricewatch.com and possibly find a better price on it but the laptop network card approach can work, although, a bit more complicated. You can runa CAT-5 crossover cable between the PS2 and the Ethernet port on the laptop and turn on the Windows XP network bridging function you linked to above and it can work with a little configuring. I'm not sure what subnet your wireless router is using but you would have to configure a new subnet for the PS2 and the Ethernet port on the laptop. Then the network bridging function would configure a route between the 2 subnets so the PS2 would have a path to the internet. If you're not sure about the subnet thing, please provide an example of an IP address and subnet mask values for one of your PC's connected to the wireless router and I can provide further assistance with values for the PS2 and Ethernet port on the laptop.

10. teg9

teg9 Member

you're right I'm being cheap right now because I can actually put one laptop to work solely for that. I hear you being complicated but it's worth a try. ok heres some info on my network. From my laptop Network Connection Details.
    IP Address 192.168.0.6
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server 192.168.0.1

11. teg9

teg9 Member

double post

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Ok, so on the Ethernet Adapter for the laptop, configure an IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a net mask of 255.255.255.0. Configure the PS2 with 192.168.1.2 with the same net mask. Enter 192.168.1.1 for the gateway on the PS2. Leave the gateway empty on the laptop. I've never used the bridge network connections wizard on Windows XP before but once you get the connections and IP configs setup, the wizard should take care of the rest hopefully.

13. teg9

teg9 Member

sounds good I'm gonna try that as soons a I find that damn crossover cable here. thx for trying to help me on this.

14. teg9

teg9 Member

tried this but when I try to bridge the ethernet and the wireless connection the internet stops working. Can't browse anything in the net. After I manually configured the PS2 adapter it tried to connect and I got the DNAS error so maybe I got in and just forgot to put the chip on sleep mode. I'll try harder later...

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Try running the command "ipconfig /all" on the Windows XP Laptop. It should tell you the DNS servers it's configured to use. Add those IP's to the DNS server list on the PS2's TCP/IP configuration.

16. teg9

teg9 Member

tried running ipconfig/all it opens up ms-dos window and closes it right away so I can't get any infos...

17. teg9

teg9 Member

I got it configured but I left it unbridged and tested it again now this time with chip on sleep mode it went through DNAS authentication and I got a new DNAS Error no. (-611). It says:
    A network error has occured. Pls. double check your network connection or configuration.

Thats a different DNAS error no. before with the chip on. So I think just a little bit more of tweaking.

18. teg9

teg9 Member

Icemonkey are you familiar with winroute http://www.kerio.com/supp_kwf_manual.html ? got a chance to download it from MIRC but I'm totally lost. It's been recommended alot from what I've read to do what I'm trying to do.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  19. AMGRacer

AMGRacer Member

a bunch of friends and i did this before at school. A guy brought his ps2 and a copy of nfs:underground. and the rest of us played nfs from our laptops. the ps2 should auto detect the settings from the wireless connection.

20. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

I'm confused, are you guys just trying to get a wireless internet connection to your ps2? Why don't you just buy a linksys media wireless base?