1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless modem how to's

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stylist99, Jun 19, 2007.

1. stylist99

stylist99 Member

I am going to get a wireless modem. I don't have any idea how to set it up and the other computer so they will work. I bought a linksys wired router and it wouldn't work on my second computer. So now I have a wired router that just sits in a box on my shelf. I have heard that the wireless one works better, so I wondered if anyone can help me to set it up. I have an HP Pavillion a1640n computer and the second computer is a HP compaq.
    Thanks for your help
    Annie

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why didn't it work on the 2nd computer? what did it not do?

3. stylist99

stylist99 Member

on the second computer, it shows that it is connected, but when you try to open any browers, it says there is no connection.

4. ddp

did you use a straight thru cable or a crossover cable to the 2nd computer? what windows is on the 2nd computer?

5. stylist99

stylist99 Member

I bought an ethernet cable and ran it from linksys to the second computer. the second computer is running windows xp.

6. ddp

that cable might have been a crossover cable not straight thru cable. look at the ends of the cable side by side to see if the colored wires are in the same location or not.

7. stylist99

stylist99 Member

yes, the colored wires are in the same location. also, i have a westell 6100 modem, and when i called verizon about networking these computers they told me to bridge my modem. so I did it as they told me and that didn't work either. Now I can't access my modem at all. I wanted to unbridge it, but can't find a way.
    Thank you

8. ddp

then how are you getting on the net? on the 2nd pc, is the netcard builtin or a card?

9. stylist99

stylist99 Member

I can get on the net with my main computer. The network card is built in.

10. ddp

on the westell 6100 modem, is there a reset button to put everything back to factory settings. what modem is your main computer connected to then?

11. stylist99

stylist99 Member

My main computer is connected to the westell modem. i then bought the linksys router and that was when they told me to bridge the modem. they said once I did that they wouldn't be able to help me with the modem anymore. I can't get into the modem at all. when they had me set the reset button on the westell, then they had to have me go into it and change some settings so it would work. so if i hit the reset button, I'm afraid that I will have no internet at all.

12. ddp

i find the linksys the easiest to connect & why they have you bridge it i don't know. check with modem manufacturer's faq about that.