1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless router and adapter help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by B1gDRock, Jan 21, 2007.

1. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

when i open my wireless network connection it says that the signal strength is low. the wireless router is not very far but im still getting a bad connection. i was wondering if anyone knows how to modify the antennas somehow to make them taller so i could make it reach to the ceiling or something like that.

2. Greg

Greg Member

haha, in between your computer and router. is there Microwave? Oven...phone...Tv...? They usually interfere. What Router are you using? I use D-Link, goes all the way to the garage.

And is it 802.11B? G? A?

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You can try to change channel as well.

Also remember that it's dual ended system, so look at the RXR'r as well, the TX'r may be fine, it just might be a crap card/antenna in the PC.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

how far away is the router from the adapter?
    I know mine is two rooms away, aboiut 60 feet at least and i have excellent signal strength on both my wireless gaming adapter and the laptop.
    Are you sure that it is making a connection? can it access the net at all?
    sometime not having the security information from the router set up in the adapter can cause it go fade on and off the network.

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Another option is to switch from DHCP to static addressing, as it seems that static addressed units tend to stay locked better than those relying on DHCP.

6. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

its about 40 ft away, more or less. there is a tv in the path though. and about the rxr's and all that i dont know what your talking about. it does make a connection and i can access the net, its just a very low/low connection.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Transmtter and Receiver

8. steimy

steimy Active member

40 feet away should really not be a problem for most good routers.
    what are you connecting with, a laptop or something?
    Is the adapter a card inside or one of those cheap USB types?
    Or is it a gaming adapter?
    You can always get a signal extender to help but at 40 feet you should not have a problem to start with.

9. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

its a linksys router and a linksys card. its not a usb card. i paid i think 60$ for it. im just connecting to another desktop pc in my room. its a dell pc. i saw signal extenders but i thought that 40 ft should not even be a problem. and now that i think about it, ts probably less than 40ft.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

40ft you should be getting a signal strenth of excellent.
    Mine is further away than that, is also a linksys router and i have a linksys wireless gaming adapter. Plus my dell laptop which also connects fine. Only problem i had was the initial set up i forgot to put all of the routers security information into my connection settings for the other devices and it would keep connecting and then cutting me off. It just baffles me why you are getting a weak signal from less then 40ft away.

11. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

well there is a tv between the connection, maybe two tv's. if that matters. also my pc is under my desk if that matters, but i didnt think it would because if it goes through walls fine, i thought going through 3/4" paticle board wouldn't make a difference. also thanks for trying to help