1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless router for MAC and PC

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by dogfssgrl, Mar 12, 2007.

1. dogfssgrl

dogfssgrl Member

Can anyone tell me what is the best wireless router to use to connect both a MAC and a PC computer.

2. neurokasm

neurokasm Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  3. Guided

Guided Member

I recommend it aswell, I had my 3 macs and my tablet pc getting wireless off it, works like a dream.

4. dogfssgrl

dogfssgrl Member

i ordered this router and received it in the mail and on the box it stated that it required a Windows platform. my Mac runs of OSX so i returned the router. any other suggestions?

5. Guided

Guided Member

6. neurokasm

neurokasm Member

hmm, thats wierd. my mac works splendid with it. maybe you have to use windows to set it up? i used windows to set it up, so i dunno

edit: did you try to install it on your mac?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  7. Guided

Guided Member

I just remembered I have the same router, Wireless G, and I have no problems when I have my PC and Macs connect it.

8. 27stories

27stories Member

I'd suggest one of the Apple brand base stations (Airport Extreme), for one simple reason: many of the new intel macs have trouble connecting to 3rd party routers because of firmware and security issues (make sure you're using the right kind of encryption!). Intel Macs seem to have the most trouble with 2Wire routers.

If you have a powerpc based Mac, just about any router should work fine, and if you have an intel Mac, just make sure your firmware is up to date on both the router and the Mac.

I've had good success with my iBook on a Linksys, and had decent success with a friend's Netgear too.

9. amanda501

amanda501 Member

I have a couple of questions:

dogfssgrl I was wondering if you have hooked up your wireless router yet and was wondering if it worked to hook it up directly to the mac.

Also I have a desktop mac so will I have to get a wireless card or can I keep it plugged in. And since my windows laptop havs a wireless card built into it I will not have to buy another one right?

Clearly I am not computer literate, lol, but I am hoping someone can help me:) Thanks

10. neurokasm

neurokasm Member

you can keep your mac desktop plugged in, and no, you won't need another card for your laptop pc.

11. dogfssgrl

dogfssgrl Member

i never did hook up that Lynx wireless router because on the box it stated that it required a Windows Platform. So, i returned it to the retailer. the last wireless router that i tried wasn't able to connect to my MaC and i only found that out after spending an hour hooking it up and talking to tech support on the phone. i've been trying to avoid spending the $179 and getting the Mac Airport wireless station. I KNOW that will work, i was just trying to spend less $$.

12. dogfssgrl

dogfssgrl Member

13. vegetado

vegetado Member

hi,
    i just got a macbook pro, but am a long time pc user. my pc is huge and i wish to use it as my data base, and use my mac for application (mostly final cut pro). is it possible to link both system together as a network?
    can i use my pc as a scratch disk to store my media files, that will be used on final cut pro on my macbook?
    my goal would be to set my pc as if it would be an external hard drive.
    thanks for any solution, i will be really appreciated.

14. josh99

josh99 Regular member

linksys WRT54GL is pretty good

15. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

could i pop the wireless card from my laptop into my pc desktop

16. Karma50

Karma50 Member

Any wireless router should work with any computer as long as you have a working wireless adapter in it. IEEE sets standards that all WiFi networks use that is universal to all Operating Systems. You might have trouble connecting at the fastest speed. (ie. 802.11n standards are not finalized so you might have trouble connecting a Linksys adapter to a Netgear router at the "n" speed but it will still be backwards compatible at the "g" speed.) I have had an Intel mac (Macbook Core Duo) for almost a year and I have never had a problem with a wireless network.

That said, routers come with CDs that allow you to set up the network with a wizard. This wizard is commonly for Windows only which is why it says on the box that it is not compatible with Mac or Linux. But it is not that difficult to configure the router manually from any computer that has an internet browser. Just type in the IP address for your router into the URL bar of your browser (usually something like 192.168.0.0) check your router documentation for the address.

You can absolutely connect your PC with your Mac. Once they are both on the network, Right click on the folder you want to share and go to sharing options and share the folder. This should make it appear under your Networks folder on the root level of your Mac. However you definitely do not want to use the PC drive over a network as a scratch disk. Final Cut (or any other program that uses one) uses the scratch disk as a place to write info it is accessing regularly (kinda like RAM) so it will substantially slow you down to set the scratch disk as a network drive. You should probably just pull files over as you need them or spring for a larger HD for the Mac.

I don't know what this means. Desktops don't have PC card slots (formerly called PCMCIA) and Laptops don't have PCI card slots. So I think the answer to this question is no. But I might have misunderstood.

17. daspand

daspand Guest

Ok im really having trouble in settin up my Router D link Dl-524 . i cant access the router menu ? i tried 192.168.0.1

, 192.168.0.2 , 192.168.1.1 ,even 192.168.0.253 still it didnt work ? i cant access the menu so i got this cmd Config all info and here it is any suggestion on how to access the menu ? i installed the driver thx.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Aamir and Abeer>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p4-affan
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Hamachi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :