1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless stops working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smartgurl, Oct 30, 2007.

1. smartgurl

smartgurl Member

I have had a wireless network in my house for about a year. I have a linksys router and belkin wireless card in my laptop. For the past few weeks, my laptop wireless will stop working after about 20 minutes. The pages will not load. The computer shows that it is still connected to the internet, but nothing on the internet will load. I can restart the laptop and the connection works again. Is there something that could be causing this problem? I have not installed any new programs and i do not have any viruses on the system. My desktop is connected the the router with rj45 cable and does not have this problem.

2. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

You may say you have no virus but there is never any way to be sure of that.
    If you are useing IE(internet explorer) Then you probably have something.
    Have you tried to see if your able to access your network?
    If you are still able to access your network, but not the net then your network setup is fine.

My brothers computer does the same thing, but its not wireless.
    He will be using the internet for a certain amount of time and all of a sudden it only gives him "error loading screen" or "cannot make a connection" screens. And that is a virus, I've have to dump his computer once because of it.

After a while I started using a program called ZoneAlarm, Which lets you control privileges to every program and file. If something tries to access the internet or network, it will block it and ask you if it should or should not be allowed. If you want the program to be allowed, then you can use options like "allow one time", or "allow every time", or "never allow" which works great for me. I also use a program called hijackthis, Its a registry tool, it tells you new registry items that were added and when and all that good stuff.

If you are useing IE, you should switch to firefox.

Something else you can try is plugging you laptop into a rj45 cable, if it gets that same prob then you know for sure its not your wireless.