1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring A Phone Jack

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by okthen12, Nov 2, 2007.

1. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

(Firstly im sorry if this is in the wrong forum because i didnt know where else to put it.)

Hi
    Can you please help me fix my phone jack, it was disconnected a while back and i dont know which wires go where.
    Any other info which i am doing wrong would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. Sorry if the images are too big :S

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is that a european residential connector as that is not a north american residential connector as we use a 4 pin style not 6 pin? do you have another 1 to look at to see how it was done?

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

4. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

Thanks for the replys
    I now know where each wire goes, thanks.
    I read that i need a "Krone Tool" to connect the wires to the connectors. Is there anything else i can use?

5. creaky

no worries; i only have the cheapy plastic versions of the tool, but failing having one of those, you just need a small flat screwdriver, as all you need to do is carefully push the wires down into the contacts (from each side, just alternate from side to side a couple times as you push the wires down, to make sure they're secure). Be careful you don't snap the flimsy metal contacts though

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  6. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

Do i have to strip the wire slightly exposing the insides, or is this not necessary.

7. creaky

No, don't strip the wires

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Seems like you have enough slack there, you can actual push them down with your fingers and use scissors to cut the slack off the end.

The contacts will strip the coating away so as -creaky- said "No, don't strip the wires"

9. ddp

can also use the plastic inserter for ethernet wall jacks but slot screwdriver will work as done that method before.

10. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

ok, there's good news and bad news the good news is that all the wires are connected, the bad news is that is i snapped the white/orange wire. i think i have managed to connect it but not too sure. i tried pushing the snapped end into the connector hence why that wire is so long.

[​IMG]

11. creaky

well if you snapped the wire just try to stretch the cable a bit but it you snapped the metal bit off you can just buy a new box cheaply, places like Wilkinsons do them real cheap

12. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

DAMN! I have a new problem, this may be OT but i discovered that the telephone cable is CUT on its way back to my house (original phone socket in garage). This must have been done by the previous owner of the house, i therefore do not know hot to reconnect the two ends which have been disconnected for around 2years. I dont have to solder the two ends together do i?

13. ddp

either replace the cable to the house or use crimp on wire splicers.

14. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

What is the name of the telephone cable?