1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wirless usb adapter problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by clay7676, Feb 4, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I recently bought a usb wireless adapter that needs an ethernet cable from it to the computer also. I installed the drivers fine, but the problem came when my internet wouldn't work. It says i'm connected to local area connection but it's really not connected to my modem which name is "modem" all my other computers work with it, but I cant seem to get this one to work. I cant get it to find the "Modem" network I tried entering the IP: no luck. What should I do to get it to work? Creating a new connection doesn't work either. PLEASE help. Thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

does the router have security set up on it that you need to also set up in the wireless adapter?

do you have a link to the adapter & router you have?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I don't think it has any security it does have a 10 number password which i've tried entering in things. But also I noticed that there is no way to get to the view wireless network screens could that be the problem?

4. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

help please anyone!!

5. steimy

steimy Active member

what do you mean by the "view wireless network screens"
    You mean where you view your connections on your PC?

To check on the security you would have to enter your router settings. Each one is a littole different, like mine i just bring up the internet and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter.

I have a wireless adapter but it is not USB and it can be fully configured so it is a little different.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=gaming+adapter&type=product&id=1061127609830

6. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Well I did type in my address which is the same thing as your in my mozozilla firefox address bar could it make a diffrence with IE? And when I mean view wirless networks that does mean viewing the wirless networks that are connected to your computer, in which you can connect to. Most of my adapters for other computers are simple you just plug it in view the wireless networks that are connected and connect to my network called "Modem" with a pass code of 10 numbers. But on this one there is no way to view the network "Modem" or any networks that are in range period.

7. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

anything?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

well i am out of idea's since i have never used a USB adapter or one that you could not hook to the router and enter setting for.
    If you are using it for a device with an ethernet port you may want to look into getting one like i posted a link for above.