1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witch dual layer burner to go with

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hoju7, Oct 30, 2004.

1. hoju7

hoju7 Member

First thread so Im sorry for anything Im doing wrong. I bought the LG 12x super Multi. My system is black and the burner is bone. The wife does not like this...So since that model does not come in black yet, that I can find, I was wandering about other brands like the HP 630i or the Sony DRU710A. So does anyone have input on this and on the HP since its quit a bit cheaper. Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi hoju7,

The only advice I can provide is, do NOT get the HP burner. HP doesn't make burners and like you is interested in the cheapest thing that they can obtain. Also HP in general doesn't have a good reputation for burner support or firmware support and there is no reason to believe they may have changed.

As for anything else - Dual layer burners have only been on the market for less than 6 months so there is no record of accomplishment. Pple may say they LOVE z, y or z burner but since they have only been out for a few months one would not expect them to have trouble. Time will tell which company has the best support and the best product. Past performance has no bearing here as this is a brand new market and new rules apply. Base your purchase on your "gut" instinct. Your post indicates that a cheap price is important to you; remember, you usually get what you pay for -

Best of luck,

Pete

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

The NEC 2500A is a single layer burner and it is black. I heard that there is a firmware to make this burner dual layer. As for quality, I haven't had any problems with this burner for a year.

4. hoju7

hoju7 Member

I have always used LG burners and never had any trouble with them. This is the first DVD burner I have purchased and wanted to jump into the Dual Layer and skip the 4.8GB. So I'm going into this kind of blind. So if I stuck with the LG or waited for a black one to come out would I be in good shape to do what I want to do (back my DVD's up and so on). Thanks

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hoju7,

I have the LiteOn DL burner(see signature) and have had no problems whatsoever. It also burns all formats and does a fine job.

My favorite burners are Plextor, but at the time when I purchased they didn't make a DL burner, they now have one out that might be worth checking into :>)

6. john179

john179 Active member

I have had no problems with my NEC 2510A duel layer burner yet and it work well along side my lite-on 411s buner.However i have still not used a duel layer disc yet but as it's been so good i reckon i will have little trouble.NEC and lite-on are both value you for money if you ask me.Previous 2 burners pioneer and Lg of which i would recomend pioneer to anyone but not LG.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

and the rumor mill continues to find takers OR would you like to link me to this Firmware upgrade ?

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

"If you have an NEC ND-2500A or 2100A, there are numerous reports that the firmware for the ND-2510A will load successfully onto the 2500 thereby upgrading it so that it's capable of writing to Dual Layer Media. Very early tests on media by CDRInfo.com indicate that the drive will write successfully to the discs. For further information see...

CDRInfo.com
    CDFreaks.com"

Here's the link: http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Nec_NDA_firmware-Download-6408.html

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

kinza,

Looks good, I'm heading over to see how many pple have "upgraded" without problems -

We're not too old to learn - my skepticism was brought on by more than 4 months of claims that Pioneer, Plextor and others have burned dual layer forever - It'll be super if the bridge has been crossed - that means it's only a matter of time until others will follow -

Most excellent job kinza, excellent job indeed :)

(Hat's off and a "Bow" toward his direction)

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Pete, I'll have to admit, even tho I didn't comment, I also found it hard to believe. LOL

(still do somewhat) ;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  11. kinza

kinza Regular member

Quote:
    "(Hat's off and a "Bow" toward his direction)"

The only thing I have left to say is that I am a girl, unless you meant to say "this" instead of "his."

12. relic2279

relic2279 Member

Hi,
    I know I'm new here but I have been lurking here for over a year and have a quick comment.

I recently purchased the HP 630i and have been using it for about 2-3 months now. I have burned over 150 DVD's with it flawlessly. I've owned quite a bit of CD burners, (smart & friendly, Plextor) and if DVD burners are similiar to the types of problems one sees, then I have to say, this is the best burner I've owned. I have yet to see, or experience a problem with this burner. I am completely content and happy with my purchace. The price was also, phenomenal. $99 at wallmart, and it supports dual layer.

-Relic

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I love my Plextor, but i have the HP dc 4000 and I have nothin to say but good things about it too. It even lets you convert VHS files to DVD files and has it's own menu authoring proggy for those converted files. Unfortunatly it was about 3 times what you paid for yours. Being an external drive raises the price a large bit right off the bat.

Just stay away from the HP 300, it's the one giving everybody fits.

Note**kinza, I'm sure Pete meant nothing by his use of the male pronoun, it's hard to tell with all the nicknames here. Pete is our AD ambassador, he's the best welcoming committee on the net! In fact he did probably mean to say "this", I'm now sure of it,LOL. ;>)

14. zippyd

zippyd Active member

My presario came with an HP 300n. It works great and I've had no problems but the support isn't there. I type in my model number at HP and it says "product not found. did you mean?" and gives me a list of other 300 series burners.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey zippy, I'm not sure but i believe the ones with a problem are the 300"i". I'm not that familiar with HP burners but i think that is the model :>)

16. zippyd

zippyd Active member

No worries for me yet. I was just adding to Pete's comment about support.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Re-posted as it still applies -

Checking around it seems that the NEC flash firmware is building a pretty poor record as complaints indicate that quite a few pple are losing their drives.

For the cost of a brand new Dual layer burners starting at $69.00, is a shaky hacked firmware worth it ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  18. kinza

kinza Regular member

If I wanted to burn dual layer I definately would not choose to flash my NEC 2500A. Too much risk involved. Might as well buy a dual layer and have two drives instead of none.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I agree 2000% but that would give me 4 drives (3 burners and a DVD ROM) But I have no problem with that at all :p)

20. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004