1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witch dual layer burner to go with

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hoju7, Oct 30, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]16x DVD Dual layer burners?[/bold]

WHY?

Considering the fact that the faster the burn the greater the increase for errors, why would anyone need a 16x burner? (I will admit it doesn't hurt to have a 16x burner as long as you don't burn at 16x,LOL)

I NEVER burn over 4x and with games it's recommended to burn at 1x. Higher speeds media costs more also. You're talking about 5-10 minutes faster for an end result that will outlast your lifetime if done properly, so I recommend if you buy one of these or another brand don't burn your DVD's over 4x.

HaiTac, that is a good price on that Pioneer tho, hmmmm....;>)

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I agree 2000% but that would give me 4 drives (3 burners and a DVD ROM) But I have no problem with that at all :p)

DITTO ;>)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

In case if anyone has a doubt - My Pioneer writes 4x media at 8X BUT I'm with the "Big Orange" thing over there (Heh, heh) I don't go over 4X.

When using Verbatim DataLife Plus, writting at 8X I still got a disc with errors every once in a while - why bother for a couple of minutes ? When writing at 4X I don't EVER get an error - It's a no brainer -

4. amarsana

amarsana Member

Hey ScubaPete
    I once read that you wrote Dual Layer Burners hasn't been settled down yet. I'd like to wait for a couple more months and choose my DL Burner when everything become smooth.
    Has that smooth time come yet??
    what would you recommend???
    thanks

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

I am going to go with the Plextor PX-716 sata drive. I have a PX-712A and it is the best burner I have ever used. According to there website it should be available in mid December for a msrp of $159.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuuummm, I never said it hadn't settled down, when asked about the best, I said they've only been out for 6 months so based on track record, there isn't one and won't be until at least the 1 year mark -

HP already doesn't have a good rep. the rest seem fine, made by good companies but, there's no way to tell which is the best - and the same goes for DL media also -

My 2 cents -

Pete

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I gotta tell ya, I've had absolutely no problems with my DL LiteOn 832S, but if they'd had that new plextor 716 out at the time, I woulda snapped it up. Call it very impatient.

wild77, BTW, they are out and for sale. I have a Plextor and they send me stuff all the time and it's on the shelf :>)

8. wild77

wild77 Guest

I am still trying to decide if I want the sata interface or the e-ide drive for my new system I have it about half built, and figured I would by the drive last.I saw the drive on Plextors site, but have not seen at Newegg yet.
    Besides I was hoping Santa would bring it for Cristmas!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Tell Santa I'd like to have one too, if he's got an extra ;>)

10. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

JUST BOUGHT A SONY DRU 710A.....AMAZING...FAST...PERFECT COPIES, USING VERBATIM 4.6 DVD+R
    CAME WITH NERO 6.....FABULOUS BURNER...

11. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

THE PLEXTOR 716 IS AT BESTBUY NOW!...I JUST GOT THE SONY DRU710A...FABULOUS..COMES WITH NERO 6

12. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

THE PLEXTOR 716 IS AT BESTBUY NOW!...I JUST GOT THE SONY DRU710A...FABULOUS..COMES WITH NERO 6

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

bklyn1028,

I promise you the mods will reprimand you for using all caps, again, I'm just trying to save you some grief :>)

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Wild77,
    What is there to decide?
    SATA of course it is about 5 times faster. If your motherboard supports SATA then by all means SATA!!! In a couple of years from now everything is going to SATA anyway.

:)