1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

witch Ritek Ridata to get?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bizzle93, Sep 14, 2004.

1. bizzle93

bizzle93 Member

everyone seems to be talking about these disc, so I went to meritline and did a search for Ritek Ridata but a banch of differnt ones came up. whitch one do I want? I'm looking for the DVD-R G04, but I don't know if I should get the Silver Matte, Silver shiny, ridata branded, white injet printable, white inkjet printable/HUB Branded. Is there a differnce?? also they have been out of the Ridata branded ones,(if there out it means there good right...lol) anyone know where eles I can find them other then meritline?

Thanks,
    Brandon.

2. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Hi,
    I have only used the Ritek Ridata +R and +RW with excellent results. A few other places to try are newegg.com and supermediastore.com . I use the silver matte as I only write on them with a sharpie. There are many people that use the white printable as they print on them with a printer such as the Epson 200.

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I prefer the branded Ridata ... my theory is that if you are willing to put your name on it ... it's just a little bit better ... however, if you're using a disc printer ... well that's a different story altogether ...

4. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

From day one I've used nothing but Ritek DVD+R 4X (Ridata Branded) and without one coaster. Actually I do have a 50 pack of Ritek DVD-R blanks in the event I should have a +R -R isue in the future. My concern now is that the Ritek 4x media is slowly being replaced with the newer 8x media.

Ridata BRANDED 8x blank DVDs I've noticed are available only in the Ritek DVD+R 8X and not the Ritek DVD-R 8X but I'm still searching.

I'm going to purchase a cakebox of the Ritek DVD+R 8X (Ridata Branded)at Meritline.com and give them a try. If they work I'll probably stock up. I'd like to know what others think about the 8x media. Thanks

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

I generally, when I use Ritek, use the G04 printables. I generally order the branded ones, but truthfully I've had about as many coasters from the branded ones as I have fron the unbranded ones. I don't get very many coasters, but ocassionally I'll get one that just won't burn or it'll stop about half way through. Then, ocassionally I'll get one with very high PI and PO errors. Ritek typically, for me at least, has very low error rates. Incidentally, the printable Riteks come in branded and unbranded. They put the bramd on the hub.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 60 GB Seagate IDE
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  7. jacota20

jacota20 Member

bizzle93

Quote from moderator:
    -----------------------------------------------------

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO.”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a 1/2 dollar($ .50 USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "Verbatim" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

cheers,

Pete