1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMP9 Error and Blue Screens when trying to play AVI

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jaysee, Jan 15, 2003.

1. jaysee

jaysee Member

I'm having problems playing AVI. I downloaded Windows Media Player 9 (WMP9) but it made no difference

When I open an AVI from within WMP9 or even run it from Explorer (WMP9 is default for AVIs) - I get an error saying WMP "encountered an unknown error" and when WMP Help is invoked, it links to the WMP support website - where the response is "error # C0011CD" .."sorry no more help is available for this problem at this time"

I am on Win98SE and captured the AVI using Adobe Premiere 5.1/rt linked to my DV camcorder via firewire. Details of the AVI are:
    FILE NAME = DVExpert.avi (size 99.0mb)// AUDIO FORMAT = PCM,32,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo // VIDEO FORMAT = 720 x 576, 24 Bits, 696 Frames, 25.000 Frames/Sec, 3641 KB/Sec, dvsd ..

BTW - the AVI plays okay on Movie Player (v3.0) and mplayer.exe (but not smoothly).

I get blue screens when I play the AVI using Adobe Premiere and the Windows Media Player (version 6.4) (which I had used before downloading WMP9. )

The AVIs wont play with DivX 5.0.3 player which says its unable to open the file.

What have I missed or done wrong? Thanks for any help.

2. christx

christx Member

When you captured the stream from the camcorder did it give you the option to choose what codec to use and what compression rate?

If it did make sure that you use Divx LOW MOTION and put the bitrate at about 650 - 900 And use mpeg layer audio (you can choose compression)

Some people think that the audio i chose aint that good but it works for me, use it all the time for dv ripping