1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.wmv file to dvd (help)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BIGFOOT1, Apr 7, 2004.

1. BIGFOOT1

BIGFOOT1 Guest

I used windows movie maker 2 to capture a movie from minidv. Now I can't put it on dvd any answers? please help

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

3. daba

daba Guest

Hi Bigfoot,

When you capture from your camcorder with Movie Maker, you can get the files as DV AVI (not WMV). When you're done editing your movies, you can export them as DV AVI. Then use an MPEG-2 encoder and a DVD authoring tool before burning them.

DV AVI files take [bold]a lot[/bold] of space (about 12 GB per hour) but if you capture or export as WMV and convert to AVI and then to MPEG, you will need the space anyway and you are likely to lose image quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2004
  4. BIGFOOT1

BIGFOOT1 Guest

Thanks daba. I figured that would work. I'll just erase the .wmv file and capture it again as dv avi. the problem is I only have 24gigs of hdd space and my home movie is 1 1/2hs. This was my 1st project I think I will need a much larger hdd, like 200 gigs.

5. daba

daba Guest

You need about 18 GB for 1.5 hour of DV AVI, so 24 GB is enough.

Anyway, if you are short in disk space, you sould consider using a video editing tool able to handle MPEG-2 directly. MainConcept (producer of the famous MPEG-2 encoder) has just released version 2 of their video tool: EVE (Easy Video Editing). It costs 70 $ and there is a demo version available.

http://www.mainconcept.com/evev2.shtml

EVE can edit MPEG files directly. So you can capture your video as AVI files and then convert them to MPEG just after the capture (to free space) or capture directly in MPEG if your PC is powerful enough (Pentium 4 2.4 GHz).

I'm looking for a good video editing tool (Movie Maker is easy but not very stable) and I plan to try EVE soon. Let me know your experience if you try it.

Cheers.