1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Burn at Maximum Speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Amadeus74, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Amadeus74

Amadeus74 Member

I have been using the following:
    -Nero Express v5.5
    -NEC ND-1100A DVD burner
    -Verbatim 1-4x DVD+R media
    with no problems whatsoever. I would select the write speed on Nero Express at 4x and it would execute perfectly.

I recently ran out of my Verbatim 1-4x DVD+R media, so I went to my normal store and purchased a 100-disk pack of Verbatim 1-8x DVD+R media, since that's all the store had, and thinking my 1100A DVD burner with a maximum 4x capability would still accept them.

Well, the new disks will burn properly, but only at the "write" speed of 2.4x. In Nero Express, the "write speed" window is greyed out and I'm unable to choose a 4x write speed.

Why is this? Why can't I choose the 4x option in Nero Express? The Verbatim DVD+R media indicates on the label "write" speeds of 1x up to a maximum of 8x. Where is my problem? Am I stuck with 100 DVD+R disks that I can only burn at 2.4x speed or is there a fix to this?

Thanks so much anybody's help.

Amadeus74

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Amadeus74, welcome to aD,

Perhaps the easiest reason is because the disc is so new your burner Mfgr hasn't yet come up with the firmware for it yet (or maybe they have but you haven't done a firmware upgrade).
    Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media in introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware updates come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Firmware, You can't be without it -

There are many pple who would LOVE to be stuck with Verbatims. No matter what the speed, quality is always better. Your thought should be, I've got some top-grade media and out of 100 discs I shouldn't have a coaster (unless it's operator error). But I'd rather have some junky Memorex media and have 20 or more coasters that burn a bit faster. (Ya see, when it's in print like that, it's easy to see the right answer.)

Me, I only use Verbatim's or RiData :) and I've never looked back.

One last note, burning too much faster than 4X, even with good media can lead to "hasty" errors.

Remember to check your burner's Mfgr site to see if they have some newer firmware -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  3. Amadeus74

Amadeus74 Member

Thanks for the advice, Pete. Actually, I had already thought of checking out the mfr's web site for updates, so your suggestion made me do it.

NEC's web site indicated a firmware update for my model (ND-1100A), but when I attempted to flash it, an error occurred during the execution. I currently have an email forwarded to the NEC tech support people asking for assistance with the error. When I get a response (and hopefully a solution), I'll post back here to let everybody know.

Again, thanks so much for your help, Pete. You pointed me in the right direction.

Amadeus74

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Keep us posted on your progress -

I noticed my one link wasn't working - I fixed it - download the "firmware tool" It's a must have -

Cheers,

Pete

5. Amadeus74

Amadeus74 Member

I am pleased to announce that my problem has been solved.

I was attempting to flash an incorrect firmware version update that I had acquired from the NEC website for my particular DVD drive (NEC ND-1100A). It wasn't until I reviewed the "Firmware Page" supplied by Pete did I realize my error. The correct firmware update was "1.A3" to replace my old firmware version of "1.A0". The update restored my drive's capability to write at its maximum speed of 4x with my new Verbatim 1-8x DVD+R media.

Thanks again, Pete, for the link to the "Firmware Page" site. All is working perfectly now.

Amadeus74

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Amadeus74,

I'm so delighted that you've gotten everything working well -

I wanted to remind you that you've made a few friends here so we expect to see more of you, iffin you've got the time. - Feel free to join us helping others, as you've seen, we try to have fun doing it. :D) I thought I'd let you know, we have other forums also - Check'em out :) There's no telling, you might find one that's of interest to you. When in doubt, checkout the "Safety Valve", it's an almost anything goes Forum (keeping in fair to average taste of course). We shoot the breeze about most anything that's on your mind, Events of the day, Movies someone's seen and is looking for comments (they don't always get what they're expecting (Lol), jokes of the day - there's no telling what's there, it can get pretty wild OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.
    - Guess you'll have to check it yourself, "Heck, you might even run into me - ;P)

I'll lQQk forward to seeing you around, and you better remember to say "Hi" -

Till then,

Sea Ya -

Pete :>)