1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wont work in standalone players..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by M82a2, Dec 26, 2003.

1. M82a2

M82a2 Member

I followed the guide for DVD shrink and it wont play in stand alone dvd players. I know the standalone players work with backup copies becuase they've played ones i made in the past using differnt more complicated programs.

2. DocWho

DocWho Member

My knowledge is limited but I will try to help. You need to check if your player is DVD-R or DVD+R. In earlier DVD players there is a difference. Each one is a DVD format. Some older players play just -R and others +R. I know this sounds dumb but manufactures in the early days split into these two groups ( -R & +R formats). I hope this solves your problem.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

M82a2,

The information DocWho has given is excellent (meaning, always check your owner's manual to check media compatibility).

As long as you are taking notes, some other factors should be added -

1. A common mistake made is to make backups using DVD RW's (to avoid making too many coasters).

PROBLEM: Many standalone players (most really) don't like the taste of RW media and will refuse to play in the same yard as them.

SOLUTION: Use your +R or -R media when getting ready to use in standalone systems.

2. Good media !
    There is no savings in using "el Cheapo" media. The "Kick-back" rate is too high.
    Feed Mr. Standalone "de Good Stuff" !!

Lastly, a too common mistake occurs when using Nero in the "New Compilation" mode (where you should be) in not transferring [bold]ALL[/bold] of the files generated by DVDShrink.

If you are using Nero, follow this tip -

Hint:
    When using Nero
    How to burn using Nero 6.0.
    Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on DVD Video. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVDShrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, now you are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer.
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, it will let you know.

Happy Holidays, “P”