1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by DavidSvec, Jan 19, 2016.

1. DavidSvec

DavidSvec Newbie

Hello everyone,

I keep getting this error message when I try and open an important file on my c: drive. This is the original copy. This started happening after I emailed it to someone (they can not open it either). Is there any way to recover this? I have already tried opening it up using "open and repair" but I get the same thing. This is an extremely important document so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
    Try these suggestions.
    *Check the file permissions for the document or drive
    *Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
    *Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

SydneyWade likes this.
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Did you try making a copy of the file then try to open it using 'Recover text from any file' in the drop down menu.

DavidSvec likes this.
  3. SydneyWade

SydneyWade Newbie

I think Open and Repair is the only option that is built into Word that will open the document. Have you tried opening the document in notepad or wordpad?

Just thought of something else...
    Create a new document in Word. Then go to the Insert menu and then select 'File'. Here you can try inserting your file that will not open into the new document. I have had this work sometimes - but not usually.

Here's something to look at:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;87856

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/269739

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828041

DavidSvec likes this.
  4. DavidSvec

DavidSvec Newbie

I have tried opening it in wordpad and notepad and I get characters.

When I Create a new document in Word. Then go to the Insert menu and then select insert the file that is having the problem this is all that gets inserted into the new document:

This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.

Strange one, any ideas?

SydneyWade likes this.
  5. SydneyWade

SydneyWade Newbie

Hmm.. I am out of ideas. Maybe you can try opening the file in other versions of word. Or, try making a copy of the file and rename it .rtf and
    try to open it again - maybe even try opening in a different version of word if you have a copy.

It looks like you may need special software for this one. If anyone has a 'free' way to recover this file, I would like to know as well!

I would try this shareware app called Word Recovery Toolbox to see if the document can be recovered at all (the freeware version allows you to view the doc but not save): http://www.oemailrecovery.com/word_repair.html

DavidSvec likes this.
  6. DavidSvec

DavidSvec Newbie

THANKS. SOLVED!:)

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What solved your issue?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes as others might want to know how to fix it if they have this problem too.

9. Pattri

Pattri Member

Microsoft Word users who are facing corruption in their documents, must refer to this blog post - Repair Word Document by using 4 Easy Manual Tricks | N. Sem's Blog

There are four different manual tricks shared in this blog post which can help you fix Word file corruption. Before using 3rd party tool to repair Word document, MS Word users must try to fix corrupt Word files manually. I hope the shared information would be helpful here.

Thanks and best regards.