1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Words off. Glitches when backing up

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by avb5983, Jul 11, 2007.

1. avb5983

avb5983 Member

I have been experiencing some glitches throughout a couple movies then the words are off also.

What could be the problem. Hardware or Software?

I use DVD Shrink and Ripit4me or DVDFAb

2. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Not understanding what glitches you are having or what "the words are off also" means.

3. 321obbig

321obbig Member

Are you burning to fast? 4x is good.
    Are you doing other things on the comp when you are convert/burn? Don't.
    is there a lot running in the background of comp? turn off what u don't need running.

4. avb5983

avb5983 Member

Sorry, I wrote that pretty fast. Let me first start off by saying I burn at 6x-8x. When I say words off I mean that towards the end of a couple of my backups the words don't match up with the lips they seem to be a second off.

When I say glitches I am meaning imperfections in the picture. It is hard to explain this but ever so often during the movies and increasing frequency during the movies I experience imperfections "glitches" during playback. What it looks like is the picture will become pixilated and some of the picture will have boxes or blotches on the screen.

Thanks

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

This can happen if you:

-burn too fast or burning too fast close to the disks outer layer/edge
    -use poor quality media
    -high compression can and will cause
    Try:

-Burning at 4x speed, and have shrink create smaller file sizes to avoid burning too close to the disks outer layer/edge. In shrink's preferences change the output size to custom and enter a value of 4300.
    -Try using sony or verbatim disks
    -If the compression level is 50% or lower (lower being greater compression applied when using shrink), you might want to try and burn to dual layer media or use DVDRebuilder Pro to re-encode the files producing better video quality.

DVDRebuilder
    http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. avb5983

avb5983 Member

Thanks for the input. In this case it was burned to a Verbatim disk and burned at 8x. If its burning tooo close to the outer edge would this cause it to mess up at the beginning also?

I reauthor the movie and only include the main title. My compression is minimal.

I will change the DVDShrink output size and burn at the slowest speed possible for me (6x).

Also, would I re-encode after I ran DVDShrink. What would this do for me? I am interested in the best quality backup on a single layer DVD so is this a good practice regardless or overkill?

Thanks for all your help.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

It looks like you're doing alot right to ensure a good backup it produced, but yes reduce the file size to reduce compression and burn at a slower speed if possible. The other thing I didn't mention in my above post, which can be very important is your drives/burners firmware. Make sure your burner is using the latest/newest available, you need to check what version is currently installed and then check for an update.

You state you use ripit4me, that means you have DVD decrypter installed, you can use DVD decrypter to display the firmware version installed as well as have it check for an update for you.

To check your firmware in decrypter go to: Tools>Drive>Check for Firmware Updates. You'll receive a pop up giving you your version and saying linking you to rpc1.org. Click ok and see if there is an update.

If you're using good media, burning at a slow acceptable speed, and the firmware is upto date, and your backups still show the same problems, then I would suspect the burner (a bad burner may cause problems in the beginning of your backup). Burners are cheap, getting a new one shouldn't hurt you in the wallet..LOL..

If you state that compression is minimal, then using DVDRebuilder is overkill. It's a good program to use when compression levels are high (meaning most of the movie is being compressed) and you want very good video quality.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007