1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordz at the bottom of the screen

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by BlameCnda, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BlameCnda

BlameCnda Member

Hmm, this was probably asked a couple of times, but oh well F search.

Can anyone infrom me how to add subtitles to a DVD rip I'm about to burn using nero 8? I never tried adding subtitles while ripping (except when running Media Center on my pc) but have the .srt files and subtitle workshop where I modify them sometimes. Anyway I also want the subtitles added to be controlled by the dvd remote or preferably the tv remote; that is, I don't want the subtitles to be permanent, I want to be able to turn them on/off from the screen while the dvd is playing.

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. attar

attar Senior member

AFAIK Nero still does not support subtitles.
    You can add switchable subs to a DVD by demuxing the DVD, then muxing it back together with the .srt file.
    This method does not allow you to keep the original menu.

The alternative (if the standalone player is DivX compatible) is to convert the DVD video to DivX and burn the file plus the .srt file to a DVD data disk the original menu is also lost.

3. BlameCnda

BlameCnda Member

But if I burn the file with the .srt file will I be able to turn the subtitles on/off while the dvd is playing (with the TV or DVD remote)?

Oh, didn't know that nero didn't support subtitles. I have a couple of divX format ones (without the menu) so if I want to burn it to a DVD data disk (with the .srt) what program should I use?

4. BlameCnda

BlameCnda Member

One more thing, I remeber receiving a burned DVD a couple of months ago (without the menu) and it came without subtitles (the DVD player's subtitle option was on and there weren't any on the screen). But then I turned the CAP1 on the TV and it turned out the TV was captioning the movie after all. How is that possible?

5. attar

attar Senior member

If you have DivX files and a DivX compatible player then Nero Express can be used to burn a DVD data disk.
    The DivX file and the sub file must have the same name.
    E.G:
    Myfile.avi and Myfile.srt are burned on the same disk.
    The subs are controlled by the player remote.

Caps on a TV refer to hearing impaired captions broadcast OTA with the program.

6. BlameCnda

BlameCnda Member

Oh, ok thanks. The Nero 8 I use has data burning though, I'll try it.

7. BlameCnda

BlameCnda Member

Meh, I switched to convertXtoDVD fwiw. Subtitles work and it allows you to keep the menu as well. Any difference in quality between it and the latest Nero version? I only burned 1 DVD so I can't really tell.