1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Works with dvd-rw but not dvd-r, WHY?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mddwnsth, Oct 1, 2003.

1. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

I used dvd shrink and nero to backup a couple of different movies. They both played on my Sony standalone with the Maxell DVD-RW I did for testing, But it wouldn't play the Maxell DVD-R even though the player claims to play this format. Do I need a different type disc? Please help!!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes try a different disc type. Sometimes there are compatibility problems with certain discs/players.

3. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

I tried TDK today and still no luck. I went to the sony website and this model supposedly has something in it that wont let you play back-ups of commercial dvds. How can that work?

4. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

It says that the player will not play dvds in "packet format". Is that what dvd shrink puts it in?

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Ddi you burn as a multisession disc with the dvd-r?
    You must have no multisession checked in Nero options....

Have you put ALL files into a folder called VIDEO_TS (in uppercase) and burned the folder?

What version of Nero are you running, if it is 5 then goto http://www.chrismccann.co.uk and look at the guide there......

6. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

No multisession. I tried the back-up on my other older dvd player that wont even play CD-Rs and they play on that one, but not the brand new sony I just bought. I am using nero 6.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Which option in Nero did you choose:
    Dvd-Video of Dvd UDF/ISO?

Try the other one, and see how you go......

8. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

dvd-video...Do you think UDF/ISO would make a difference?

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Completely uninstall Nero and try Record Now Max instead. You are probably one of the few that has compatibility problems with Nero.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It is worth a go, I think....

If it is was me I would try ALL options in Nero - flog it to death......if still no joy then I would join Discmania with Recordnowmax (I think it is called Recordnow DX now).

I always encountered issues with Nero, it was version 5.5.5.9.17 - this version kept messing up the finalising stage, but would report on a successful burn - but no cigar in the end...

I then went to recordnow DX - no probs at all with this....beauty...

I see you are using Nero 6, do not know how many options are there, but there were 3 in version 5:

Dvd Video
    Dvd UDF/ISO
    DVD UDF Only

The UDF Only was the most compatible, through the trials I did, but I believe you haven't got that option now.....

Try the other option and let us know how you get on.......

11. mddwnsth

mddwnsth Member

Tried all three- Video, UDF only, and UDF/ISO and still no luck. I was looking in the manual for the player and it says something about CPRM (Copyright Protection for recordable media). I wonder what this means. Are THEY getting smarter?? I am looking for recordnow to see if it will work. Let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.:<

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If that was what was preventing the disc from being played no one would buy the player. This is because, home created movies like family video need to be converted to a VIDEO_TS (VOB,BUP,etc) format to allow playback on standalones. THere must be another reason for it

13. Crazycro

Crazycro Member

I had exactly the same problems with nero. I'm using the Plexwiter PX-708a no matter what I did I couldn't get any version of nero to work for me. Only with DVD-RW so I decided to try
    GEAR PRO STANDARD 6.05 it works very similar to NERO I think if you try it you'll really enjoy using it. http://www.gearsoftware.com

Good luck

14. Discmania

Discmania Active member

There is an issue with the Plextor writer and nero and there is a patch to fix it which you can download from this site.

15. Crazycro

Crazycro Member

Can you tell me where exactly?
    Thanks in advance.

16. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you have Nero 5.5 version you can get the latest update from here which includes the Plextor patch:http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4559.cfm