1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worn Lazer or greedy modders?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Mouth_uk, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

After trawling the forum and coming across a similar situation I have a hunch more than one of us is being ripped off. I had my v1 modded recently as my disks are getting scratched, the 'reputable' company I used then informed me that my lens was worn and probably wouldn't play the DVD backups very well. My question is would a lens cleaner solve the problem and how many other people have had their lazers replaced?

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

they could very well be telling the truth... but, you might wanna get the system back and try it out first see if it works or not. the older ps systems are known to have lasers that go bad.

3. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

Thanks WEStar, I have had the console back now for a month or so. Some DVD games work and others dont. I might send it back to have the laser replaced.. the console is over 2 years old and very used.

4. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Yup, had my PS2 V2 recently modded and it doesn't read DVD-Rs (I started three topics about this in this forum) but it plays CD-r backups and all of my original just fine, except that all of my back-ups will freeze after an hour or two of play.

After it freezes, the disc will usually won't eject and I have to turn it off for half an hour or so for it to cool down before I can take the disc out.

Thus far, I think my problem is a combination of a bad install and bad laser. The company that did my installation is checking out the eject thing and I'm going to adjust/clean my laser when I get it back.

I'll post a new topic or something if I can get it to work.

5. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

Dabbler77 I Just read something interesting on one of the other threads. Our problem may very well be a combo bad installation and tired laser, but it could alos be that we are backing up our games at the wrong speed. I've been using 4x with -R's and have had some very slow performance. I'm going to test at a slower speed and see if they turn out better. Will let you know.