1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would appreciate help creating an iso of a dvd...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BadBoy787, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hi, just to let you know, I'm writing this message from school (I say so, because I may not know the names of some of the programs I use at home to make isos; for, I am at school; I do not have my computer to see what programs I use). Anways, I would like to know how I can go about copying "The Girl Next Door". I've just borrowed a copy from a friend of mine (It's the unrated version, but...it's a rip-off). I've made isos of computer games before, and I was wondering if it's an entirely different process to make a dvd into an iso image? I think what I'm trying to ask is: What is the best way for me to make a copy of this dvd? Should I create an iso, and if so, how should I go about creating an iso of a dvd movie. And also, do you guys think I'll be able to create a dvd then, using NERO 6?
    THANKS!

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

BadBoy787--
    You can use DVD Decryptor to make ISO's and DVDShrink (Both are free and available right here under Software tab)to compress so that it will all fit on a single layer DVD---there are guides available right here under the guides tab--

Whitfield

3. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hrmm...thanks. I also have one question/issue about the quality of the back-ups...will it actually lose quality then? I mean, will backing it up actually make the backed up copy be of lesser quality?
    THANKS!

4. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

It depends on the size of the original. If the original is less than 4464mb and can fit on a dvd (i am presuming you are burning to a single layer dvd) then there should be no loss of quality. If the original is more than 4464mb then as Whitfiled said you use DVD Shrink to compress it to fit onto one DVD and the amount of compression required will determine how much the quality will fall.

You can reduce the amount of compression required by Re Authoring the movie in DVD Shrink and leaving out all the extras or other audio streams that you do not need. You can look through the guides provided in the Guides section here for instructions how to use the software.

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi BadBoy--

rafigold is right--you will not be able to tell a difference in quality if not too much compression is required--here is a link to a helpful guide on the process--

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

6. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Wow, lol, thanks a bunch man! By the by...how do you know if it has, or if it will, take a lot of compression to make an iso image?
    THANKS!

7. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

When you open the files in DVD Shrink it will tell you what the compression will be. Basically however much data is on the disc needs to be compressed to fit onto one disc, so the larger the files on the disc the more it will need to be compressed. That is why it is often a good idea to not back up the whole disc but to reauthor the disc and only copy the movie, not the menus or extras.

8. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hmmm....well, that was kinda the point in backing up the DVD though... :-( . I downloaded the unrated version of "The Girl Next Door" (a torrent), and I made a VCD of it on a 700MB CD-R, and it fit surprisingly, the mpeg file as was (as I'd downloaded it). Also, surprisingly, the movie plays much more clearly on my tv/dvd player, than on the computer?! What's up with that?! Anyways, I decided that I loved the movie so much, that I'd actually back up a whole copy of the whole thing (extras and all), for myself. But, now, I dunno...if it'll lose quality and all. I mean, the downloaded version if fairly clear, but it kinda seems like it's maybe...a VHS version? Anyways...that's what my deal is.
    Any suggestions, or things to say guys?
    THANKS!