1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be possible to boot not working backups...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Kooey, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Kooey

Kooey Member

with a boot disk?

I have a magic 3 chiped Us Ps2, and from the backups I made, 3 are not booting, even tho they are burned just like the working ones. Their data is read correctly on PC, but the Ps2 gives me the red screen of death. I was wondering then, if it would be possible to boot this for-x-reason non-self-booting-backups with any special boot disk(swap?).

I don't know the reason of the ps not booting them.
    Could it be the media Im using? (Imation CD-R silver) even tho other backups work decently. I burn with Alcohol 120% in datatype PS2, but RAW SAO instead(my recorder does not support Raw-DAO).

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Kooey

Kooey Member

Anyone know or tryied this?

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I thought that Magic 3 suppost to boot everything direct ??!!!
    I guess it must be the media then...

I have messiah and all 60 copied games boot direct, no prob at all.

4. Kooey

Kooey Member

True Wizkid, Magic3 does boot everything direct. The problem is from 7-8 Backups I burned, 3 are not working, and 2 of the working ones are EA games which are harder to boot, but they don't pose a problem. It could be the media tho' which would mean success rate is very random. Do you know if my writing Method (RAW SAO instead of RAW DAO) could have anything to do? And, would those 3 backups work if I booted with a booting disk?

5. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

It should boot EA games easy,but can you give me the titles of these 3 games...?!
    I have some EA games too..

6. Kooey

Kooey Member

The ones not booting are "The Mark of Kri", "Batman Vengeance" and "Pirates The Legend of Black Kat"
    I should note, that all the backups I burn, I get them from a well known p2p sharing community.

7. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

No I don't have these 3 games...
    Do they boot the intro and then stop or they boot not at all ?

F.e. I copied EA NHL2003 and stopped at the intro on a DVD+r. Then I copied the same onto a DVD+rw and it boots fine now..

8. Kooey

Kooey Member

Those 3 that I mentioned, which are the ones that don't work are not EA games. As for what the problem is, they don't even boot, The red screen of "Insert PS2 Disk" comes everytime I try to boot them. Also I burn only in CD-R I dont have DVD burner.

9. Kooey

Kooey Member

Bump for Wizkid or anyone who wants to help.

10. opey71

opey71 Guest

Try reburning the original copy.

11. Kooey

Kooey Member

This is wierd, now they started working. My ne wbooting method is, after I play with a game that boots normally, I just replace the cd, when it triesd to load I reset and the games I couldnt boot before started booting. Any ideas why this is happening? I also didn't try cold boot them again yet.

12. toolband

toolband Guest

Here is a solution that works for me, one of my backups wouldn't boot until i put a label on the disc (i am no expert by any means but my thought was that the laser was reading "through" the disk if you know what i mean, i figured that all ps1 games were on black cd's and ps2 on blue (except for dvd), so i figured that a label would block the laser from going through the disc. once again, i am not an expert and my theory could be absolute crap, but hey, it worked for me.

13. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

toolband: You are right about that.
    I didnot know Kooey was talking about CD-r.
    I allways copie my CD based games on black backsided CD-r (like Princo or Parrot), because the PS2 (or laser) reads them better.

The laser is not going through, but it reflexes too much..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2003