1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be possible...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by magus57, Jan 16, 2007.

1. magus57

magus57 Regular member

...to connect a PS2 controller to a car like they did in Men In Black II (I know it's a sci-fi movie)? Here's how I think it would work:

PS2 Controller sends signals to computer chip, computer chip uses drivers to recognize button pressing and pressure sensitivity, and then converts the data into a signal/form of power that can control the car's acceleration, brakes, headlights, etc.

Anybody even think of doing it in real life?

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's similar to a remote control technique that you can see controlling cars in everything from Hollywood movies to Mythbusters. you would have to devise a remote control system and have sufficient knowledge of electronics to modify a ps2 control to work with it.

3. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

aww cool... lets get adam over here (the guy from mythbusters)

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

or better yet, send this along to a car forum where it might get an actual resolution.

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

in theory its possible.in reality you'd need a lot of skills to do it and get it to work.why would u want to do that??????u been playing too much need for speed?????

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's probably one of those things that someone wants just to say that you have it. it wouldn't be safe or road legal.

7. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I just posted it on the Mythbusters forum, maybe they could tell me something.

And kind of off topic, but I actually HAVE been playing a lot of Need for Speed lately (specifically Carbon and a little bit of Most Wanted).

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

they're not going to tell you how to do it. in every episode of that show, they specifically tell you what we do is dangerous and [bold]do not try this at home![/bold]

really, man, if you don't have the skill and knowledge to do it already, just leave it alone and spend more time in school, lest you kill someone or yourself.

9. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I'm not saying that I would do it myself...hell, I don't have the money for a car or even have a license. What I meant was that I posted to see if they could tell me anything about why it could(n't) be possible.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

unless you want a huge mass of machinery in your driver's seat, you would need a steer-by-wire setup and some kind of ...exploit in the car's computer to divide the turn information to come from both sources. it's not impossible, but it's not very...worthwhile.

11. magus57

magus57 Regular member

Maybe one day, when I have some more money, a lot of spare time, and more knowledge on the subject, I'll try something...but for now, I'll just have to dream about it...

EDIT: I just though of something: instead of using the analog sticks to drive, I could use the PS2 controller like an actual steering wheel, except that I would press X for gas and Square for brakes, make the steering more responsive (so I don't have to turn the controller more than 90 degrees left or right), and add some more functions to the controller (ex. press triangle to turn on headlights, R1 for emergency brake, etc.)...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

everything that you want the ps2 controller to control would have to be managed by the computer, which would need some great amount of programming done to it. all the typical physical linkages would have to be replaced with hydraulic and electric motors.

having the controller sitting there, mounted on the steering column...hmm, i just can't see that working very well. with the type of steering ratios you're talking about, a little tap could send you veering off the road. even then, such a small device could bring with it a load of reliability and usability problems.

not trying to killing your dream, but instead i'm trying to test it's actual viability. any challenge can be overcome, but the question is, "is it worth it?" lol

13. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I guess you're right, better think it over before really getting into it lol.

14. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

yeah, i totally agree with aus... with the amount of work and knowledge, this would be totally impractical. all you would be able to do is drive it around a skid pan... and lets face it, that would get pretty boring after a while, regardless of what Adam Savage says.

i mean, if you look at adam's thingy (sorry, the word has totally sliped my mind) you can see how there are so many buttons and sh*t... and did you ever see the mythbusters when they try to see if it is possible to "fly" a car off a ramp and drive away?

well... if you haven't, the car had so many problems with the stearing and the range of the signal from the thingy (sorry, the word is still gone)... anyways, when the car got out of range, it kept going and crashed, untill they made it so the brakes came on if it went out of range.

so, y'know... its possible, but very unlikely that anybody will ever do it.

15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just want to stick in my 2 cents.. Heard of fly-by-wire? European airbus? Last reckoning it cost 10 billion euros to develop.
    remote control aircraft have been around for years, the RAF flew radio control Hawker Hunter aircraft out of RAF Valley in the 50's and 60's while doing sound barrier testing.
    It's possible to use any standard model aircraft remote control system to drive a car, or anything else for that matter, as in the tv Robot Wars.. It's not even that expensive with some thought, all you need is a good home workshop, and a big yard for testing.
    The car as we know it will be obsolete before there is electronic drivibg, and then it will be electric cars running like trains on pre defined roads at set speeds and distances.. no fun at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i was simply talking about driving-by-wire because most cars these days don't have enough of such electronic workings (other than a throttle line no longer being mechanically run from the pedal to the intake manifold) to be viable with a machine of some sort filling most of the driver's place to run everything in place of human limbs.

magus seems to want to be able to continue to sit in the driver's seat and run the vehicle's, well, everything from one controller. this isn't really remote control, which would be much easier i believe, but instead more of a conglomerated controlling system. dunno, though. never saw the movie he originally referenced.

i feel your pain on futuristic cars, jan. what hurts more than anything is losing the manual-shift transmission. driving goes from a skillfully mastered art to an everyday mundane motion when you lose that third pedal. :(

17. magus57

magus57 Regular member

Yeah, I don't think you guys understood me. I wanted to use the PS2 controller in the car, instead of the steering wheel, not as a remote control. I'd rather be in the car, remote control anything seems a bit boring to me.

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

and that's what i was talking about the entire time. way harder to do it, unless you want to drive from the passenger seat or have a car where everything is by-wire.

19. janrocks

janrocks Guest