1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would the flip top and swap disc method work for a v1 or 2 PS2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by piccolo03, Dec 20, 2004.

1. piccolo03

piccolo03 Member

I have a PS2 way back from release day (wonder it's lasted so long) and want to know if the flip top cases will fit my PS2. I figure the new swap discs, version 3.3, will work but want to be sure about that as well. I think I need the 10 screw version of the flip tops instead of the 8, but want to be absolutely sure before I spend the $40 on the combo.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

what you should do first is burn a movie on to a dvd-r disc just to make sure that your ps2 can read it good. If all is well, then go ahead and get the fliptop.

3. piccolo03

piccolo03 Member

Wouldn't I have to have the swap disc to try that anyway, or can higher version PS2's read DVD-/+R's without any trouble? And if they can why would you need the swap discs in the first place when you can just burn and play the games and movies without them?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you don't need swap magic to play burned movies, just burned games.

5. piccolo03

piccolo03 Member

Ok but once I try the DVD-/+R and it presumably works, I still need to know which version of the flip top to get. Every site I go to says that the 8 screw version is for v4-v7 PS2, so does that mean I need to find the 10 screw version for my v1 or 2? I have been able to find the 10 screw version but they never say what version PS2 they are for.

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes, you need the 10 screw version (they are for v1-v3). Also, +r will probably not work for you.

7. cmorock

cmorock Guest

I just recenlty purchased the swap disk and lid for my 10 screw ps!!2 V1 .
    and it didn't work the swap disc read and it did take a little longer for my ps2 to actually read it ,but it did eventually got t o the load screen lift t he cover replaced it withthe back hit enter and I got ( nothing ) and I tried 3 diffrent kinds of high quality dvd+ r . and stll no good ! games wouldn't read ! and also my regular games had a hard time loading and it's also making a horrible noise . Not sure what i did wrong but after i put back my ps2 to it's original form it played fine , i'm thinking it has something to do with that little white disc that belongs on the lid ! can some one give me some advice before I trash the $40.00 lid i bought ??

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

9 times out of 10, +r discs don't work in your version ps2.

9. cmorock

cmorock Guest

verbatin dvd + r are now working fine , with all games . i adjusted the lazer which means i actually took the whole ps2 apart , but once i adjusted the screwes on the bottom of the disc drive , which is supposed to control the sensitivity of the lazer , it started to pick up and read faster , but one thing , the little white disket which I beleave holds the cd in place is not set correctly therefore , I must leaVE the cover open to play any game , any suggestion on how to attach that white piece to the top of the flip top so that the console can be closed , for the mean time I just have a piece a tape across the lid so it doesn't fall and ruin the games being played .