1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would this mobo set work with my old hdd's?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jsnm, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jsnm

jsnm Member

im looking to get this:

MSI K9N6SGM-V Socket AM2 Barebone Kit - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20GHz OEM, 512MB DDR2 PC4200

would this work with my old hard drives and cd drives? right now they are both eide connections,and not sata. however on this new motherboard i only see 1 eide connection.
    im fairly new to all these new motherboards,connectors,etc.seeing how my old stuff is about 4-5 yrs old and looks different from these.
    im basically just trying to put together a semi fast pc for internet,downloading stuff,etc.really no games at all on it.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

How many drives do you have? On the mother board it will only run two drives on one cable. Two hard drives 2 dvd-rom drives, one of each, doesn't matter, but it will run just two.

3. jsnm

jsnm Member

yea see i currently have 2 hard drives,1 dvd-rw and 1 cd-rw.
    Do they make any type of conversion or card to install the extra drives or no?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

You can get a SATA to IDE card, I think they ae around 15 bucks. BTW what's the point of the extra CD-rw, when you have a DVD burner?

5. jsnm

jsnm Member

i would like to keep both for when i want to copy something.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

only need 1 drive to copy a disk but have no problem with your reason as reduces wear on dvd burner. cd's on the cd burner & dvd's on the dvd burner, whether playing or burning.