1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wouldn't it be easy for Nintendo to detect mod chip users?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Rico0170, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Rico0170

Rico0170 Guest

To me it seems that it would be terribly easy to detect mod chip users without detecting the modchip itself.

Wouldn't it be very easy for them to code the firmware to detect if an NTSC Wii successfully plays a PAL game or vice versa? The only way that can happen is with a mod chip installed. Even if you run Wiigion Free on a game to change it from PAL to NTSC, I noticed Brickblocker still detects the original source of the game as PAL, so the region free programs are not completely converting PAL to NTSC.

Also the backup disks can vary in size from the original. Nero backups are actually larger than ImgBurn backups by a small amount(even though both play fine), so there is another variance from originals that can be detected.

So is it just a matter of time before Nintendo makes an effort to stop the use of existing mod chips or are there limitations on firmware that would prevent them from detecting the obvious signs of a mod chip?

2. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

It basically is just a matter of time really! I mean it took M$ a while to find the Modders, so it may take Nintendo some time!

3. olo567

olo567 Member

Actually, no changes to the firmware could do anything. The firmware is not involved in the decisions to start the disc or not, or to know what region a disc is. That is all controlled by the drive chip of the Wii. That is what is hacked, and can't be changed by software, only by Nintendo physically modifying the Wii's design.

4. kevin32

kevin32 Member

You are only modding the drive and not the mother board. Therefore Nintendo has been trying to stop people from modding by making D2C, but always find a way to hack it.

5. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

6. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

it would not be in their best interests to prevent mod chips as more people buy the console because it is moddable. 3 people i know bought it because it CAN be done although they havent actually done it. Most people still buy games, i do, and also the purchase of imports would be prevented.

the sony ps1 killed off the sega machine due to it being moddable easily. Everyone bought the ps1 and sony made it big in the market.

if the machine had been unmoddable, i would have bought the 360

7. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

You can still play roms and such from cards like m3 on the ds... and nintendo hasnt done anything about it.

8. slibs

slibs Regular member

Yes but here in Australia mod chips are legal, i don't know about you guys but they legalized it because people want to play import games. So i don't think that Nintendo would punish the people that play Wii just because they want to get games that aren't out in their country. Australia's really bad at releasing games, we dont even have Trauma Centre yet =\

9. slibs

slibs Regular member

Nintendo has tried to do something about it. The newer DS's now need a keypass to work but ofcourse the modders got a way around this. Because the DS doesnt get firmware update like the wii it's much easier to homebrew with it, also the media type is a cartridge.

10. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

and they couldnt include it on a game?

11. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

The sega dreamcast was hacked much easier than the ps1. You didn't even need a chip, they just modified the boot sectors of the games. The reason the dreamcast died is because the games sucked.

12. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Member

Oh my god I feel sorry for the poor chap that has to solder 30 of those tiny wires, I love how the online pictures make it look so big and easy then you open it and the whole work areas the size of your thumbnail

13. slibs

slibs Regular member

should be moved....^^^^^^