1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow a great 50 pack deal!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Xenokai, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from DVD-R Newbies*

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

You can get a better deal on Fuji at Best Buy.

4. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

there fuji one's are only 2.4x speed ill pass lol

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

6. tomripley

tomripley Member

This works out at $0.40 per disk, which is decent enough, considering that the quality is likely to be above average. Nothing to get too excited about, though, as it's only 4x media, and genuine Taiyo Yuden 8x media can be had for $0.48.

More deals like this one is likely to come in the near future, as the big brands try to clear their remaining stock of 4x media.

No, the Sonic disks are not manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, nor has anyone ever promised that they are. They just have a "TYG02" manufacturer id, which might be used under license or be faked (my money is on the latter). Either way, it doesn't say anything about their quality.

Most likely they're fakes made by Infosmart in Hong Kong. My recommendation would be to avoid them.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

hey bbmayo,

do you honestley think that you can buy legit Taiyo Yuden discs cheaper than junky Princo discs? please tell me you know better and say no
    if they were real, they would be sold out within a day or two at that price

they may not be total junk, but i don't want any disc that has a faked manufacturer ID because they are definitely hiding something

also shop4tech is not a recommended place to buy media from according to digitalfaq
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/buymedia.htm
    #2 on the page under the Warning group

check ths thread (just one of a few)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112854

8. tomripley

tomripley Member

In theory, there can be legitimate reasons for using someones elses manufacturing code, not least that it may increase the compability of your media. In such cases the usual approach would probably be to buy a license, though some companies (like Princo) have been known to just use whatever code they feel like.

That's not to take away from your argument, which is absolutely agree with. In most cases the main reason for not using your own manufacturing code seems solely to be a wish to trick customers into thinking your media is something else than what it really is.

The best part - from the point of view of those doing it - is that it doesn't necessarily involve outright lying. You don't have to claim that your media is Taiyo Yuden, just mention that it has a certain manufacturing code (which *is* true), and many people will come to that conclusion by themselves.

In this case Shop4Tech doesn't actually mention the manufacturing code on their website, which does do them some credit. Plenty of people still seem to recommend it based in part on the TYG02 code, though.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I really don’t care what you want to believe. All I know is I have now burned 50 of these and all of them have played perfect. 5 different Stand alone players, a PS2, and an Xbox. When I run these threw Nero Info tool and run all the tests on them they test out almost identical to my legit Taiyo Yuden's. As far as I am concerned they are good media, and I wouldn't post on here if they didn't work. Two of my buddies have bought this same media (2 different burners) and they have the same results I do. I was a bit skeptical to try these but for the price I figured what the hell, and am glad I did. I was just trying to share the wealth :) Try not to be so narrow minded. To say one brand is the best and that's it is just plane ignorant. Media changes everyday with whom manufactures there disks you never really know what you are going to get for sure.

Here is a recent article you may enjoy

[bold]What's the Best media out there?[/bold] There is no such thing as Best media. No two people's computers are exactly alike, and different hardware as well as different software make this question impossible to answer. There are other reasons as to why you can't assume a BEST when it comes to DVD MEDIA as I will explain.
    [bold]Now for the Biggest Misconceptions and Fallacies of DVD MEDIA.[/bold]
    Just like with everything else in the world, I ALWAYS get what I pay for. If I pay extra money for expensive DVD MEDIA then I'm surely going to get the best quality, right? This is the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST FALLACY regarding DVD MEDIA. I have seen many posts where people think that they are getting the best quality media simply because they spent a few extra dollars. This couldn't be more false. Yes, MANY times in the real world, you get what you pay for. You won't get filet mignon for the price of Salisbury steak, and you won't get a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. In many cases you do get what you pay for. But in the world of DVD MEDIA, you absolutely can NOT associate price with quality. I will give two strong examples. It was assumed for a long time that companies like Verbatim make some of the best media in the world. If you spend extra money for name brand "VERBATIM" disks...you were getting what you paid for, right? Wrong! Recently, Verbatim has been known to have allowed the production of countless inferior Verbatim disks from a variety of different production plants and manufacturers. CMC is the company primarily responsible for producing the MAJORITY OF Verbatim's crappy media, but other companies have been known to produce faulty, error-plagued Verbatim disks as well.
    The point though is that you must first understand that the MAJORITY OF THE TIMES you are purchasing "name brand" media, the name on the top side of the disk, is not the name of the company that actually manufactured the disks. You also have to understand the DVD Production process a little. You can't just assume things. You can't just say for example, that because TDK is making excellent disks now that they will always continue to make excellent quality disks. Most of these DVD manufacturers have a wide array of production plants around the WORLD. Companies like Verbatim have at least 7 different manufacturers of their media! They also have manufacturing plants in different States as well as different countries!
    For one reason or another, not only can one "brand" of disks be better manufactured then another. such as TAIYO YUDEN Verbatim disks being higher quality then say CMC...but in addition, the quality of the disks that come from a plant in Singapore may be superior in quality to a plant in North Carolina. Quality control can also be more lenient at one plant then it is at another. It can also certainly be more stringent for a company like Taiyo Yuden, than it is for a company like CMC. For these reasons as well as many others, you can't just ASSUME because a disk is more expensive, it is absolutely better.
    The reverse can also be said. Just because a disk is inexpensive, does not make it cheap or of inferior quality. As a matter of fact, there are NUMEROUS unbranded "generic" media being sold at many online sites which are superior in quality to a lot of more expensive "NAME BRAND" disks such as Verbatim, Memorex, Fuji, etc. Just to name some of the highest quality disks I know the majority of people have had the most success with success with are as follows:
    Ritek, (mainly G03 & G04), Ricoh, Lead Data/ Primarily sold under the name ACCU, DUPEZ, AND PIODATA. Prime disks - Manufactured by Gigastorage. Samsung BeALL DVD-R (Not +R) Optodisks - The highest quality appears to be the Gold-Topped 4x disks from the majority of the people who have used them. This is a list of the most compatible and highest quality inexpensive media which can in many cases be far superior in both quality AND compatibility to more expensive name brands. Which certainly is better for all of us? Last but not least, I want to mention that I’ve seen too many fallacies and assumptions from people who think because they got one bad batch of disks from a manufacturer, then surely, that entire particular manufacturer's disks or brand of disks must be crappy. Again, this simply isn't true.
    Case in point: CMC has been known to produce a high percentage of inferior disks which have some type of issue or another. In the Verbatim example listed above, they were known to be responsible for the majority of inferior Verbatim disks. However, CMC also manufacturers many other brands of disks. Philips DVD+R media for one is produced by CMC. And for one reason or another, the Philips media CMC produces is of a higher quality and superior to that of most other CMC Produced media. There can be a number of reasons for this. It could be the dye used for the Philips disks is of better quality...maybe it's because the Quality Control is more stringent for the Philips disks then it is other brands. Or maybe it's because the entire production process is just better for the Philips disks. Whatever the reason, one thing that is for sure is that I burned a successful 75 out of 75 with these CMC disks, and I've not read a single post to date from anyone saying that they've had issues with the Philips media. I have however, read many posts where people have had success with the Philips media. So as you can see, you can't just ASSUME that because CMC produced the media, that the media will absolutely be crappy. And the exact opposite is true. Memorex has had a lot of negative Feedback regarding their DVD MEDIA. Incidentally, the majority of their DVD-R media is CMC manufactured. and of POOR QUALITY.
    So this means that everyone who has used Memorex media can say that Memorex sucks and they'd be correct, right? Once again...WRONG! Memorex also has DVD+R media and their DVD+R media happens to be produced by RICOH..one of the world leaders in DVD+R media and one of the companies at least at this point in time who people can rely on for high quality media. The point though is that just as poorly as the Memorex CMC DVD-R disks are...the Memorex DVD+R disks are some of the best out there.
    The point is that you are only misinforming yourself by saying that all Memorex media is crap or all CMC media is crap or ALL Verbatim media is the Best...because the facts prove otherwise. In order to continue to get the highest quality media possible, you have to keep up with the times. At any given time a company may contract with a media manufacturer and you wouldn’t even know there was a change. Today Memorex has CMC manufacturing its DVD-R media, but tomorrow they contract with Taiyo Yuden and cut CMC. The same can be said for ANY media company. Right now the TDK DVD-R disks are produced by Maxell and themselves (TDK)...tomorrow they may decide to cut costs and allow a lower quality product to be produced and they may contract CMC to produce their DVD-R media. What a nightmare that would be..lol...but it can happen.
    As long as people understand these concepts and look a little deeper then just the obvious...then they should have no problem staying on top of the highest quality DVD media on the market at any given point in time.

[​IMG]

10. tomripley

tomripley Member

Look, the real problem here is your statement that Sonic media "are manufacture by Taiyo Yuden :)" There's simply no proof that this is true.

If you want to recommend it because it works well for you, feel free to do so, but please stick to actual facts.

Have you done any quality tests on your burns with this media (cdspeed/k-probe/etc)? If so, it would be interesting to see them.

I don't have the energy to slog through the article you posted, as the prose is almost unreadable (what's UP with ALL the CAPS?). I would like some proof of the recent flood of "countless inferior Verbatim disks", though.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Actual "Fact" Disk ID TYG02 is this not Tayio Yuden Manufacturing ID? Can you show me something that shows other wise? Where are your facts that these are fakes. The disks have high rating from every user that bought them. There x4 speed disk's on the other hand do not, but they don't have TYG02 code either. I wrote Taiyo Yuden an email and asked them if these disk's where indeed manufactured by them I will let you know what they say as soon as I find out. Another thing why are you so negative. Point is the disk's work and work good I was trying to pass along a great deal. If you don't want to get them that is fine you don't have too. No one is forcing you to do anything. It seems you just like to fight about little irelivant things.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  12. tomripley

tomripley Member

Yes, nobody's disputing that they have "TYG02" as their manufacturing id. But that doesn't mean they've been manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

This point should be fairly non-controversial, given the article you included in your previous post. As it mentions most of Verbatims production is outsourced to other companies, amongst them CMC. Yet almost all their media has the manufacturing code MCC, despite the fact that it hasn't actually been manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemicals.

The Sonic media may actually be manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, but it's also possible that they've just licensed the code or outright faked it. I don't know which of these are true, but neither do you. Hence you can't state as a fact that they've been manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

Now, do I think they aren't manufactured by Taiyo Yuden? Sure, but I don't know for it a fact, which is why I never stated it as such.

And no, I'm not being negative for the sake of it. I just don't think the Sonic media is a good deal, in fact rather the opposite. I don't see why I shouldn't let others know about my doubts, but it's nothing personal. So, please relax, optical media is hardly worth getting angry about. My language may sound a bit cold, but that's mostly because English isn't my main language.

One thing that would help to make this discussion vastly more useful to others would be some tests of your burns on Sonic media, so they could judge the quality for themselves, which is why I asked about it. Since you have Nero installed, you already have the tools at hand: Nero Toolkit -> CD-DVD Speed -> Press F2 -> Let it finish and take a screenshot of the graph

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I am not angry or worked up?

I have no hard feelings at all. I am a little curious about these disk's myself, but I have had nothing but great back ups with them and I cant find anything anywhere stating otherwise or that they are fakes, but I will post as soon as Taiyo Yuden emails me back and let you know.

[​IMG]

14. tomripley

tomripley Member

There was this recent thread about one guy having some serious issues with them:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/133847

That apart, I'll look forward to hearing whatever response you get from Taiyo Yuden. Most big companies are crap at answering emails, though.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I recalled that post also but he wasen't clear which media it was x4 or x8 ?? They are different just as alot of companys are??

I will keep bugging TY until they get tired of me :)

[​IMG]

16. tomripley

tomripley Member

On closer reading he was probably referring to their 1x-2x media, as that matches the price he mentioned ($14 for 50):
    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2422

At this point I'm almost tempted to order some myself, if only so I could do some actual testing on them. Alas, shop4tech wants $70 for shipping them to me, so I'll have to scrap that idea..

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Dang!!! Mine were free shipping

Where do you live?

[​IMG]

18. tomripley

tomripley Member

In Europe. There's no way the actual shipping costs are that high, but there you go.

Of course, there's plenty of dodgy TY media available in Europe too, it's just not sold under the Sonic brand.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah sorry about that, but I don't think they even send to Europe? Where at in Europe. I spent some time over there. Germany mostly, but did visit Italy, Denmark, Greece, & France

[​IMG]

20. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

Thru here I heard the ritek ridata go4's where good and have had good sucsess. today on digitalfaq.com
    ( http://www.digitalfaq.com/thisweek.htm ) I read the go4's where going down hill. I was thinking of the go5's cause there is real good deals @ meritline.com
    they also have -- GreatAZO 4X DVD-R 4.7GB Blank Media (High Quality AZO Dye) General Purpose DVDR Disc (Disk), $0.26 each
    which I heard are probaly realon this site also any suggestions?? I plan on making a large order in the next couple days
    Thanx....