1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Having this PC trouble for like a year now

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kingy1213

kingy1213 Regular member

i have been subscribed two this thread the how time

can u subscribe 2 too many threads?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I doubt it, I'm subscribed to hundreds...

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

K OMFG!!! I hate this!

Can you tell the cause of this?

-Call of duty 4 -- starts, then I see half-sized black screen --- and then "encountered an error, click to send error report" blah blah.

-Top Spin 2 --- Same thing as ^^

-Crysis --- I get an error after i click next in installation, it just says "the installation was interrupted" .. well I did see a black DOS screen pop for split second. Anyways, I have 9.0C ....

I don't know but this is so frustrating.... please help.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corrupt display driver and/or DirectX install. Suggest you get the latest directx runtime and reinstall the latest graphics driver.

5. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Well I have directX 9.0C, anyways I will download it again....but what do you mean by reinstalling my graphics driver, you mean downloading it and installing it OVER? Alright, thanks.

EDIT: I went into display properties, then my adapter and uninstalled the driver....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, I do, for both.

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yeah umm I got DX redist august 2008, and at the time I didn't know where to extract cuz I thought that was the installation so I picked a place somewhere in sys32, and then realized it was the installation files, so could it be because of that? Yeah cuz they still seem to not work.

8. jeice28

jeice28 Member

... if your using xp you may need to get a patch for crysis, it can work on xp but not without it. If doing so from vista, get the service pack that ought to upgrade ya to directx 10 which should solve both problems for crysis and cod 4. Top spin 2 I would need to know how old the game is. If it came out around the time quake 4 and doom 3 you may need to re-install the game from the vista stand point. Either this or your video card drivers are out of date just like sammorris said.

Just one question though, are you trying to run these from another hdd? I only ask because at least cod4 should not have given you any headaches. At least this game wasn't rushed out the way crysis was.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not had any trouble with Crysis in an XP environment, other than that I couldn't uninstall it one time...

10. jeice28

jeice28 Member

I didn't say it wouldn't run, I'm saying the game has a patch and if updating the drivers doesn't fix this go this route. The game was designed for both vista and xp, however this game was a bit rushed when released. Both vista and xp folks at where I worked did give this complaint, and in some cases doing every driver update didn't fix the issue forcing them to wait for a patch. Ironically it did fix their problems, but guess what else happened?

Those who did have it working had trouble with the game in multi player mode as a result of this patch, but never with the single person shooter mode. Alot of people didn't have problems and it didn't matter if it was xp, vista, or vista 64-bit in single mode or mutli player yet it seemed 3 out 15 people who came asking about trouble with this game said the same thing: I got everything updated, and their system should have ran the game, no excuses in 2 of 3 cases.

I have got to start paying attention how I type... I sometimes just dig my own grave by stupidity. I need to reaaly watch my details.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not tried the multiplayer so I wouldn't know... :p

12. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

...now you are spamming my e-mail. so anyways, I turned on my PC today, I hear the GPU fan noise, and I see that the monitor light just flashes, which means it's receiving no signal----hmm where have I heard that before? Anyways, I did a safe shut down, just by rpessing the power button once on my case, and it shut down. And then it worked properly. My Q is, how do you check if heatsink on CPU is seated properly? Like, I push it down, I push those plastic thingies down, it seems tight...it's round btw.

13. jeice28

jeice28 Member

what does a cpu heat sink have to do you with your video card??? Unless you modded the video card with an after market component only thing you can do is follow the instructions given for such a device.

Far as the processor goes: if its an AMD then its still a big metal clip and that's dummy simple practically. If its Intel: depends on how far you want to go to make sure... some after market socket 775 heatsinks are push and twist, some are straight push out so again find the manual for proper procedures.

I know this must sound snobby, and snoddy but that's the safest way to be sure.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Grab hold of the cooler and pull it, relatively firmly, but not too hard or else you'll break something... :p
    If it's not going anywhere, it's secure. If all four of the plastic pushpins are down, it's secure. If your heatsink wasn't properly attached, your PC would shut down, not blank screen.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If it's an AM2 cooler, I wouldn't worry about it coming off. But if it's an Intel cooler, it could possibly come off. Either way it can't hurt to check. I've had both come off.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had a 775 cooler come off... :)

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

18. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yo guys, Alert, alert, get this message in ur mailbox

K anyways, here's the thing, the SOUND isn't working. I mean, before the reboot of the system, speakers + USB headset worked fine. After, I rebooted the entire system and installed the driver, only the USB headset was working. The driver that I use was called "realtek"... for p5k integrated sound card, but this company seems like s**t.

So I decide to delete the driver and to install a new one from intenet. I delete the driver, install other one, and right in the end, this realtek thing tells me it failed. Something like "HD Sound Driver failure" so it didn't install. And that's what I've gotten for EVERY realtek driver I did. Oh and since I deleted the driver, not even my headset works anymore. I kinda solved it by deleting part of Windows SP2/3 K-something foulder, some regedit stuff that I saw on the internet, so the realtek program now let me fully install the driver, yet there's still no sound.

Oh besides all that, remember I told you when my games weren't working? They started working, for some reason, and when I deleted the driver, the stopped working again. Like it checks for sound card or something. And then the game just freezes, where it cannot even be ended using processes, not even log offs..... and so on.

I wanna get the sound working Can anyone please help? Oh, what is FSB frequency in BIOS? (should it be set to 333MHz?) just wondering.

thanks

19. jeice28

jeice28 Member

Let the bios deal with that don't touch it unless your planning on doing some overclocking and for right now touch that could only make things worse!

At this rate I'm going to suggest one thing... back up your data, wipe your system, and re-install windows.

20. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

what, i just reinstalled my windows, I am not doing that again! I just need the sound back.

Also, oh yes you do need to mess with BIOS if your PC freezes, then u force restart and then all settings have been reset.