1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Having this PC trouble for like a year now

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The sticking at Windows is occurring because windows is attempting to load a driver to support a piece of hardware. If the driver fails to load properly then it will not move forward.

Try booting into safe mode and see if it sticks in the same place, if it doesn't then you have your answer.

Two things that are really bad for that are graphics cards and audio card or chips. If you tried to fix one of them and not the other then it would be advisable to attempt to work on that.

To determine if it is being cause by your audio device go into your bios and disable it and then try to boot and see if it continues to get stuck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I am actually past the logo ^^ long time....

Anyways, to add up to my previous posts, seirously...something's really sh*tty is going on in my PC. Now, I cannot open images directly, it just shows horuglass for split second, I can open them by right clicking and choosing Windows Gallyery, so crappy. Also, for some reason, iTunes isn't starting when I click on it. Additionally, CoD4 has stopped working. What the crap...................I just don't know what to do.......

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Eugene482

I still think that the problem is as I stated in my last post. You are looking at a video or audio hardware issue. It could be that drivers are incorrect but the best way to isolate is to disable the ones that you don't need such as audio and then see how it behaves.

4. jeice28

jeice28 Member

Following up what Sophocles has said: by deleting the driver, at least the folder, you have completely messed up your on board sound. If it was done from the system properties, then check it to see if you have any exclamation points by it. If so, its driver re-install time, which means you need the mobo disc. However by doing what you've done by editing the registry you also could have possibly messed up your usb port drivers toward recognizing other hardware, such as your printer, or MP3 player... if this is the case you just painted yourself into the corner of having to re-install windows anyways. Unless you really know what your doing with the registry don't touch it!

One other thing... if the sound doesn't return then either replace the mobo, which will force you to re-install windows, or get a sound card. With the sound card you can disable the audio on the mobo, and get yourself maybe an additional 5 to 20 fps towards game playing.

5. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

It doesn't really stick to the windows logo, but it somwhat pauses for a sec or two, sometimes a minute. Well, how do I disable it in bios? My sound card and my gfx? Oh, and I do have exclamatio nmarks in Device Manager, beside Microsoft Kernel and Wave splitter...etc.

6. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

wait, guys what about system restore? I have a whole month full of checkpoints, or it doesn't work?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

XP System restore doesn't always work although it is always worth a try. Did your system come with a copy of Windows or Restore discs? If so then that is your best bet.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's rather funny is that I've had all those problems in the past. Generally when they all come together I just reformat and reinstall windows, but it can be caused by hardware issues too, I've had that in the past as well...

9. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yoo, love system restore. At least my headphone sound is back, opening pictures is normal again and CoD4 works. Although my crysis foulder got messed up (no .exe for crysis) that is still a little price to pay now that my PC is back to its previous state. Whew.

Oh yeah, about the outer exterior speakers that are connected to the green jack, I told you they don't work right... so the weird thing is, this realtek driver has audio demo and speakers play them perfectly however other sounds, they just don't play...it's kinda strange.

10. jeice28

jeice28 Member

Did they work before is going to be my first question? If they worked but not your headset try unplugging the headset first, go to control panel and get into sound options... more than likely though unplugging the headset altogether may do it, but just in case of driver screw up due to registry editing. There should be a speaker configuration which will allow the PC to find the device. Once its done give it a go with the headset still removed, and if it works correctly they should be up and running without needing to reset. Odds are though that once you plug back in the headset it may detect it which will once again shut off the speakers.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had that exact problem before, a long time ago, and I forget how I solved it. Check your volume control settings and your default hardware in Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio.

12. jeice28

jeice28 Member

you aren't the only one Sammorris, I solved by getting a manual switch so I wouldn't have to constantly unplug my headset all the time, and I think your right that another way may be through the volume control.

My only concern is that he might have bombed the drivers with that registry edit, sometimes restore points don't always work when this is done, which why I thought he ought to re-install them from the mobo disc. I know the p5k has audio drivers on its disc, I had one until it had a meltdown.

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There is a master volume control but to access it you need to click one of the advanced buttons as per sam's instructions or better still enable the system tray icon that will give a direct link, as for other sounds not playing your as vague as ever eugene ..lol..:p,yeah any way windows may have sounds disabled for some reason which could explain it or if it's game sounds look to it's sound config settings first, then work from there,also the speakers you have direct connected must be of the correct ohm's (4ohms if you want to run speakers without an amp) if they were fine before you can ignore this last comment

PS: You can connect the other end of the jack to a stereo instead of speakers so long as you have an audio input of the same jack type or a splitter that converts it to RCA which you then connect to a spare audio input or auxilary input,if you have a component type system you can place it where the cd player RCA's would go to the stereo input.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  14. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hey what's a stereo jack?

Just for the info, there's this several pin thingie on my motherboard, I guess it's for sound, and there are 2 wires that can connect to it, one is called the "HD Audio" and the other one is "AC97". The thing is, when I bought my PC 1 year ago, everything was working except the front panel green jack for headphones wasn't
    So I switched AC97 to the HD audio to see what comes out. And front panel started working.... but this doesn't really relate because right now the speakers are connected to the rear jack.

If it helps, whenever I plug in the speakers into the rear jack, realtek pops up and says "for optimal performance, set to Line IN or something about mic" .... yeah I never figured that one out. And oh yeah about master volume.. you see when I go start>all programs>accessories>entertainment and volume control, it says there's no mixer connected. And as I told you before, the speakers do play the realtek demo sound but nothing else..

I am gonna post a pic of that line in in a sec.

EDIT

here it is.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

HD means High Definition,that to me says it's for an add in audio card not for on board so should not be connected at this time

AC97 is Realtek

Can't comment much on the front panel connections other than the mobo AC97 is for the rear female jack point (female connector for little male plug connector with wires to speakers)so would guess why front panel no worky

"Line in mic" means for a microphone,line in means sound in but we want sound out,so is not relevant & can be ignored at this time,the 3 ports on the back of the mobo support more than one function & configuration depending on what setup is required,can't remember exactly but there are settings in the sound config that shows all the configurations or perhaps microsofts website will

put all cables back to where they should be,so AC97 inside the cpu should be put back where it belongs (not on hd),go to control panel & get the sound device window up,tick the box that places icon in system tray.

While still having sound/dev window open go to next tab at right SOUNDS,for now set to windows deafult if it's not already

Next tab along AUDIO make sure default device is REALTEK AC97 from drop down,below that set AC97 as default SOUND RECORDING,below that MIDI,set microsoft GS Wavetab

Next tab VOICE default all to realtek AC97

OK go back to AUDIO tab,click ADVANCED button,set to STEREO HEADPHONES,(you could use speakers but i think headphono better for now),now click the VOLUME button,make sure master volume is not muted & set volume to say 1/2,also make sure all others are not muted (not that it matters but do it anyway)(MASTER VOLUME CONTROL has an option button in top left corner there you can add more panels by cliking PROPERTIES so do it now & check ADJUST VOLUME is set for playback,now see below
    Tick the following if not already ticked
    MASTER VOLUME
    WAVE
    SW SYNTH
    CD/VIDEO IN
    LINE IN
    Clik ok once done

Close all windows except for main sound/dev window
    Clik the VOLUME TAB,clik the SPEAKER VOLUME button set the sliders to move as one by placing tick in box & apply,close window

This should set everything back to default as tho you just installed xp as all i've done is set my SPEAKER settings to HEAD PHONE & connected the stereo to the female sound output jack of the pc,as far as i can tell i have'nt missed anything assuming you have the correct driver

EDIT: Since you mention sound does actually come out it can only mean a box has been ticked to "no sound" as default i would think,having any sound at all means driver & sound device are working,although assumptions are the muthar of all f..k ups i'm certain things are on the right track

16. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I can't do these things because once I plug my Headphones out, there's not audio device detected. So everything is gray, no device there so I couldn't do anything you said except change to default windows sounds.

It seems that that all jacks aren't working... front or back.

Also, the Driver for Realtek HD Audio is "not signed" ... as if the driver is crap or something. That's all I've been able to find out. Btw, it now plays windows sounds (i used the black jack) but not other sounds.

But you wrote alot of stuff, so maybe I might wanna say thanks so you would do that again but this time knowing I wasn't able to do all these things :p

Also there's hardware optional update at microsoft's called

Realtek Semiconductor Corp - Sound - Realtek High Definition Audio

But windows update downloads it, and cannot install it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Unsigned means noth'n more than it has'nt been tested by microsoft,it's usually ok to go ahead & install so long as you know what hardware or software it's for.

If it plays window sounds thru whatever speakers you're using then it should play all others i would've thought it's hard to know what to suggest at this point

18. jeice28

jeice28 Member

As I feared, your audio is hosed because of the registry edit. If what scorpNZ doesn't work nothing you do is going to fix other than a complete system wipe... as far as getting your speakers back. I'd guess its highly probable that you had everything hooked up properly to begin with so unless you unplugged something else that's the only conclusion I can say that will solve this.

You already did a restore point... taking it back any further could fix it, or make it worse.

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

A repair reinstall by using the xp disk (if you have one) or the recovery partition (branded models like dell & hp),but instead of doing a complete reformat you could instead use the repair function,when first booting with the xp disk (or if you have a recovery partition hold F8 or F10 or whatever),once loaded you'll get 3 options, i think it is in the first screen,from memory you need to hit install (repair on the first screen boots to dos & is not the one you want)then use the REPAIR function once that screen is loaded,this will not delete any data in the MY Docs folder etc,what will happen is it will remove all installed programs but the folders will remain & it will reinstall xp & all drivers,once done you could reinstall your most used programs (no games at this point would be best until xp is fully updated),then head to WINDOWS UPDATE & don't leave till all xp is fully updated,then get sound working before game installs,by rights on the reinstall of xp you should have the windows sounds working,it also would pay to play an mp3 or mpeg,if you get sound then all is ok,so if there are no game sounds then the game software or config is the problem.

EDIT: I don't switch between headset or speaker setup perhaps that's why there's an issue

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I switch between headphones and speakers all the time on my Realtek HD. I use a set of 2.1 speakers and a pair of 5.1 surround headphones. I've never had a single issue.

You could try a registry clean with the free program CCleaner. Then you can try a reinstall of your drivers.