1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow, im so confused

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by scott565, Jan 19, 2005.

1. scott565

scott565 Member

ok, I just got a new dvd burner cause I wanted to try this stuff out. now heres my deal. I have made a lot of back ups, all mpeg and avi. and im trying to convert them to dvd so I can play them on my dvd for the tv. Im using TMPG and it seems to take forever. 15-20 hrs. I have not completed one yet cause I dont have patients. do all of yours take that long? just out of curiousity

thanx in advance
    scott

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

WEhat about studying a little (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/) and ONLY LATER starting worrying and asking help?

3. scott565

scott565 Member

I have, read, studied, pondered ever since I registered and I am still stumped on this stuff. im not dumb, stupid, retarded by any means...sorry

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Did you read and try http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm ? Obviously, I hope you have a good PC...

Note:
    -----
    I hate converting AVI --> DVD because garbage IN => garbage OUT. From a 700-900 MB .AVI you cannot obtain a decent DVD movie (4.5 GB large) without interpolating a movie with 'high quality' from the input movie (and therefore working for nothing), even using the best setttings for TMPGenc and the other stuff you need...

5. scott565

scott565 Member

yea I do. 1.2 ghz, memorex 8x dvd writer, 512 mb ram. 60gb hd. I would think thats good enough?

6. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Scott front page of this site has a great program on it for making dvd's from avi's/mpegs in a small amount of time... its called DivxToDVD newest is 0.4 ... on my 2.8 p4 a divx is usually converted to dvd in about a hour.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ scott565

[bold]1.2 ghz, memorex 8x dvd writer, 512 mb ram. 60gb hd. I would think thats good enough?[/bold]

You might consider upgrading as you have the bare essentials.

a better processor and more ram would help but its really only going to marginally improve.The best time to do the encoding stage is set it up before you go to bed and while you are asleep let it run uninterupted.