1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write errors among other strange problems ; (

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by DVDRyaN, Feb 24, 2008.

1. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

I'm using anydvd and clonedvd2, I'm getting write errors almost everytime I try a burn. It began as a not so frequent occurence and has gotten progressively worse. It has varied on the percentage completed before the write error but usually its low, and more so if I try to put in another disk when it asks me to replace the media rather than restarting it all. The movies I have been experimenting with are very new so I dont know if that has anything to do with it although I don't see why it would as I always use the latest versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help...

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. liz630

liz630 Member

Hello Ryan,

I use DVDFab Platinum to decode and burn, and I've never used anydvd and clone, but I went thru 2 months of what you're experiencing and have a couple of suggestions to offer.

Have you checked the IDE channel in which your burner resides to ensure it's set to DMA mode and not PIO?

Secondly, I tried every fix in the book, and the problem ended up being my burner, which I didn't think possible since it was only 3 months old. Do you have another computer with a burner you could swap in to test, or maybe borrow a friend's?

Liz

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  3. liz630

liz630 Member

Another thing: you've been having computer problems? What kind? Have you tried defragging and cleaning up your temp files - very important if you burn a lot.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

what media are you using?

Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim are your best choice burning between 4x and 8x max

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@DVDRyan........Liz and MR LEDZEP gave you really good advise. I just want to add to keep AnyDVD up to date..... if you do that then you won't have any problem with any of the new movies out!

Keeping your computer clean and free of bogging down Windows is also important. You should use DISK CLEANUP found in START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS and also DEFRAG often enough to keep your computer running smoothly. Another good program is CCleaner which helps keep your Registry clean and fixes issues! I even use SmitFraudFix and even ERUNT/NTREGOPT to keep my registry clean and mean!

using good media stops many problems while burning and also viewing! Using quality media that is recognized by most burners/players makes your chances of successful burns easier and player compatibility to view the burned DVD much better! You can't go wrong with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim..... just stay away from the stuff made in India!~ If you are using a DL disk only use Verbatims! I wish that Taiyo Yuden made a DL disk but they don't!

6. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

I'm using I order verbatim MCC004 first class media. I also have some 3rd class maxell CMC MAGS and they all give my those fatal errors, so I believe the problem lies elsewhere. Hmmmm........

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  7. liz630

liz630 Member

Hi Ryan,

IDE channels are the interface between the motherboard, and your disc drives. Sometimes, after a series of unsuccessful burning attempts, the channel will set to PIO, instead of the faster DMA mode. That can give you a slew of coasters. For now, try this:

Start-Right Click My computer-Manage-in the left column double-click Device Manager to open. In the right column you should now see a list of your computer's devices alphabetized. Take a look at the list and look for any yellow exclamation point warnings. If you see any, let me know, otherwise proceed.

Look for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers-click on the plus sign to open it up.

Do you see Primary IDE Channel, followed by Secondary IDE Channel? Your HDD will be in Primary; your optical drive on Secondary.
    Double-click Secondary, select Advanced Settings. Look for your device, it would likely be the top one (Device 0 - do you have a DVD-ROM as well?).

On Transfer Mode, you should see DMA if Available.
    On Current Transfer mode, you should see some form of DMA mode. For example, mine reads Ultra DMA Mode 2. If you see PIO anywhere, post here.

It's late here now, but I will post back.

Liz

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

9. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

I found under IDE/ATA, two primary and secondary IDE channels. Under the first secondary IDE channel There is no tab for advanced settings but there Is on the second. So I'm looking at properties and under device 0 the device type is on auto detection but the backgroud is brown instead of white, like I can't click on the down arrow. under transfrer mode it says DMA is available, and current transfer mode is ultra DMA mode 2. Under device one it also says auto detection but is white and I can access it. Transfer mode is DMA but the current transfer mode says not applicable. No Other drives here by the way

10. liz630

liz630 Member

Hi Ryan,

It's ok for the device type to be greyed out. The other settings sound good.

You've tried defragging and cleaning up? Do you have the latest firmware for your burner? Did you try burning at 4x?

You could try another burning program; ImgBurn is free:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/imgburn.cfm

and see if you get the same errors. Do you burn audio CDs? If so, do you have the same problem?

I mentioned earlier that I had the same problem. It ended up being my burner, even though it was relatively young. Any possibility of you trying out another burner?

11. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

Not only am I getting burn errors, but also when clonedvd tries to read it. Sometimes AnyDVD will act like there is nothing in the drive, and when I check under 'my computer' it will show nothing in drive (E:)(not as often). Most of these movies are brand new, never played, so they don't have scratches or smudges on them.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good news is new optical drives are pretty inexpensive go with either

Pioneer
    Lite-On
    Samsung

I like Pionner sata drives

13. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

I have run defrag, ccleaner, and windows washer. I keep it pretty clean in general as far as that is concerned. I have burned at 4x for a long time now. There are no new updates for my firmware, Also Ive downloaded Imgburn so I'll see how that works soon but I dont think thats the problem. Unfortunitely I dont burn audio cds much anymore, but I do from time to time, I'll try some and see what happens.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

15. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Remove and test DVD burner in another PC. If it works. Reinstall drive, backup your files, perform System Recovery.

Install: Internet, and Internet Security. Update OS, install third party software. Backup a DVD.

Then Bob's your Uncle!

Quikdraw

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  16. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

Quikdraw, I don't have access to another PC and even if I did, my computer knowledge is limited and I mostly don't understand what your talking about. Anyway, so I was trying to burn a cd last week and it worked. I have since burned a few cds with no problems, and my drive has been reading things steadily, so that is really weird. I can't burn with "ImgBurn" because I cant get past the build process, I dont know what to do. I can write it to my HD but when I go to burn it, it says the image is too large for the disk. Besides that I actually was able to burn a DVD about 20 minutes ago. I changed the write speed from 4x to 1x but I don't think that had anyhting to do with it. I of course put in another movie to try but anyDVD will not decrypt it. It is however acknowledging that there is a DVD media in the drive.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.4.0.4)
    PHILIPS DVD8421 7H09 MYJY01992C
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 2030352 sectors (3965 MBytes)
    Total size: 4060687 sectors (7931 MBytes)

BUT.....sometimes it will read it and during the reading of the disk using CloneDVD2 I get a processing error message.....

File 1 E:/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB 23 TCSectorReader

17. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

(Yeah, you will). :-(

Both AnyDVD - and by extension - CloneDVD, as well as DVDFabDecrypter, both balk on certain new, "copy protected" <copy corrupted> discs.

I've got one disc - brand new - not a scratch or mark on it - from a box-set, that gags at 86% using either program. The other discs in the set rip fine.

It's a constant cat-&-mouse game of 'catch up' with the tv/movie studios, and the independant ripping-software people. What you cannot rip today, may be rippable a few weeks from now after a few version upgrades. It's happened to me lots of times.

18. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

19. Suba

Suba Regular member

If you downloaded latest version, just click on "Write files/folders to DVD". Find your folder using icons on side of the next window and burn.
    You do not have to worry about Build and Write. It will do it for you.

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member