1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by truthmic, Mar 8, 2005.

1. truthmic

truthmic Member

I use dvd decrypter to copy the dvd to my hard drive and dvd shrink to get it to the correct size. I then use dvd decrypter, nero or Tmpc (or somethng to that effect) to burn to dvd+r. I have no trouble with the beginning steps but when I try to burn to DVD I receive write errors from all 3 programs. This doesn't happen all the time just some of the time! If I try numerous times the DVD will sometimes work? A buddy of mine uses the same technic and hasn't had a problem yet! Am I doing something small incorrectly that I can't catch? Can it be a faulty dvd disk drive (I have a Samsung 16x dual layer writer)? Help!

Truth13

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The more important question would be what is the brand of media you are using?

Have you updated your firmware for your drive?

3. truthmic

truthmic Member

I have been using 8x media if that makes a difference. I have also ben trying it with both iso and hard copy files and it works with one or the other sometimes and sometimes neither. Like I said if I try 10 or more times (re decrypting, re shrinking and so on) I can make it work. I have been averaging 5 wasted disks per 25. This seems to be high when I have a guy who hasn't had a single issue! Anyway write after it writes the lead in at 16 sectors read is normally when I start getting the write errors.

truthmic

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Still didnt answer the questions..
    What [bold]brand[/bold] of media? not speed

have you tried updating your firmware for your drive?

5. truthmic

truthmic Member

I have just switched to TBK 8x. I'm not sure what or how to update my firmware? I'm not really sure what that is (thus I'm in the newbie section)

6. truthmic

truthmic Member

I was using HP dvd-r 8x. I just switched to the tbk

7. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Download a program called DVD identifier. Run that on the HP disks you were using. That will tell the people here more. Just because they're HP disks doesn't mean they're quality. I used HP dvd+r without any issues. I never tried the dvd-r disks. You might also think about switching to dvd+r.

I like those Verbatim digital movie disks....the ones that look like movie reels.

Thumb through the dvd media forum on this site and see all the discussions on brands. You may not know it. I didn't until I did some research and ran that program I listed above, but the brand of media you're using may use 2,3,even up to 10 different manufacturers. For instance, I bought 3 packs of Memorex. Two packs were made by Ritek, which is supposed to be a decent quality company. The last pack (which I returned) was made by a company called Moser Baer. From what I read, this company produces only crap that should go to the dump.

Try the program. There could lie your answer!

8. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

You do mean TDK? From my experience with TDK bought from Costco, +r's, manufacture went from Ricoh to CMC. I returned mine, didn't even attempt to burn.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also to make your DVD writer compatable with more DVD media you should update your firmware. You can go the manufacturer's website and look under downloads for firmware and select your drives model number. Then just download the correct firmware and install it.

10. truthmic

truthmic Member

Actually the HP was the +r. I am out of those and now have the tdk. I will run the program on those! My pal uses the same media and never has had a problem? BBMayo mentions updating my firmware but I have not a clue what that means? Do you think there is no possibility of a bad disk drive because it works sometimes? It's frustrating someone uses the same media and the same programs and burns with ease!

11. truthmic

truthmic Member

That answers my firmware question! Thanks. I will try these things and research some good media and hopefully that helps! I just think maybe I'm doing somethingwrong on my end but it works sometimes which leads me to believe it's not me. The bad disk drive concerns me as well but again it works sometimes!

12. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Some dvd burners are very finiky about the media you use. You might want to check the compatibility. I'm not sure the website, but there's one that lists your burner and recommended media. Also, what we're saying is that your HP media may be manufactured by a different company than your bud's HP media.

13. truthmic

truthmic Member

I never realized how the media could affect the burns. If anyone knows that compadibility website please post it here! Does everyone prefer using the ISO files or the hard copy files? Another person giving me advice says he doesn't use the ISO files but the other?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

15. truthmic

truthmic Member

Everyone agrres my actual writer is fine. It's my choice in media that is wrong? That's actually refreshing because I didn't want to deal with returning the writer!

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

That wasn't the exact link I was thinking of. There's a link on this site that I found a while back that lists burners and recommended media by the manufacturer. I can't seem to find it.

And there's no guarantee it's not your burner. The media is the first thing you should check. Download the dvd identifier program and let us know what those HP disks code out as.

17. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Oh. And you can check cdrinfo.com for a firmware upgrade.

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

They best for media compatability is to go to the actuall manufacturers web site as they have already did extensive testing with the media for their product. :)

@truthmic,
    Check out my guides (link in sig) those should help you out a lot...

19. truthmic

truthmic Member

Do you guys prefer burning iso fives or the video files and why?

20. truthmic

truthmic Member

Is there any way to check and see if its my burner?