1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write probs converting Video to DVDwith Pioneer 106

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by topgazza, Oct 15, 2003.

1. topgazza

topgazza Member

I'm converting a lot of my videos to DVD using Winfast to copy, TMPGEnc to compress and convert and Ulead Movie Maker to write to DVD. Mostly this works well with very good quality.

Using Ritek 4x DVD-R disks. Getting some errors of buffer underun which with the 106 should be "impossible". Now I know this sounds illogical but I've just wasted 3 disks trying to write Jurassic Park 2. It converts and compresses OK but fails with buffer underun, surely not the film? Or 2 consecutive disks ? Any clues guys? I've tried writing at 1 x with no luck either.

2. topgazza

topgazza Member

Received some more DVDs today, Arita (Ritek) 4x G04. The Datasave media ones I had been using were GO4s as well. Burned the film with no problems!!! But why buffer underns? This was probably a media fault but as I had burned some 30 videos over the past few weeks with only a couple of errors this is odd. Is there any preference for a make of media that works well on a 106?

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Buffer underuns, are mainly due to the fact the dvd burner has to WAIT for information, causing slight delays in the data transfer form disc to disc or HD to disc.....

If you multi task whilst burning, this can cause problems unless you have a fast HD/fast ram/fast cpu/or a full HD....

Have you got your burner on the same IDE as your HD, as this can cause data collisions - resulting in under runs etc......

This can cause some errors and also good burns and relates to your problem.....

If they are on the same IDE, try moving the burner to the Secondary master and see if this helps.....

Media could be attributed to this, I would try that out when you know your setup is solid.....

4. topgazza

topgazza Member

My setup is exactly as you describe Baabaa. Nothing else running and with the buffer protection imbedded on the drive, you're right, it would have to be something extreme to make that fail.
    Its odd that when I tried new (better?) media it worked fine with the same setup. Maybe there were rewrite attempts going on that confused the process.
    Just did another VHS -DVD without a hitch. I guess it shows how "spikey" this environment still is. Thanks for the tips by the way.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What RAM are you running?

I have no experience with Ulead, maybe a slight bug, as that has been around for a while and the 106 is relatively new......may not be 100% compatible....possible.....

However if you have had better success with different media - that may have solved it......worth keeping an eye out......

You could try TMPGenc DVD Author instead, I assume you are using TMPGenc to produce compliant MPEG2 files and Ulead to author to dvd......

TMPGenc Dvd Author, will convert your MPEG2 files into a dvd compliant structure....

It is available on a 30 day trial, goto http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html for more info.......

Maybe worth a shot......._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  6. topgazza

topgazza Member

Indeedy. I use TPMGE to convert and Ulead allows me to add chapters and titles etc and then burn to DVD as well. Its quite a good tool. It is the version that came with the 106 so it might be "basic/old" I will see if there is an upgrade. I also use Shrink 3.0 for DVD copies and what a superb program it is. The new version sees far more encryption fixes that the earlier one.

The media issue interests me and I've burnt 5 disks with no errors since. It may well be that finding a consistent media to match the drive is the thing to do......and the hardest. Thanks again.

7. topgazza

topgazza Member

Oh yeah, 512meg memory. About to upgrade processor from AMD 1.3 ghz to a AMD 2.0ghz and mem up to 1gb.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member