1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRITER ERROR [UNIT ATTENTION (Power on, reset, or BUS Device reset ocurred)]

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by bobesox, Dec 4, 2004.

1. bobesox

bobesox Member

WRITER ERROR [UNIT ATTENTION (Power on, reset, or BUS Device reset ocurred)]

That's the error I'm getting. The burn goes about 60% and then...wham! I've made a lot of coasters.

I'm just trying to save a bunch of jpegs, mp3s, avis, etc.

I'm a newbie to burning DVDs. Any ideas?

Thanks

AMD 1600mhz
    512 ram
    WinXP SP2
    7 GB free on my HD
    EMPREX dual layer 16X DVD burner (new)
    Teon DVD+R 8X media

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bobesox,

Can you tell us what software yo're using ?

Try this tool and tell us some more about your media (though it probably isn't an probably issue, I still want to consider it).

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Cheers,

Pete

3. bobesox

bobesox Member

Pete-
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've used several programs. Nero (which came with the drive and really played hell on my system)and a couple I downloaded - Deepburner and Sateria. What do you recomend? Anyway, out of about ten burns only one made it all the way to 4GB. I don't feel like its the software..but I don't know.

I ran the app. - I'm not sure how how much info you need - but here's what I got:

Unique Disk Identifier: [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
    Disk & Book Type: [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name: [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID: [CMC MAG]
    Media Type: [E01}
    Product Revision: [Not Specified]
    Blank Disk Capacity: [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
    Recording Speeds: [1x , 2.4x, 4x, 6x-8x]

Thanks

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

bobesox,
    CMC is a very poor quality media manufacturer.
    Now if I know Pete, he's going to give you a paddling for using poor quality media and then send you to your room until you agree to buy some good stuff. So to save you a whoopin', I'll copy/paste one of his informative lessons about media and then give you a link to a site that lists the various ID codes and what class they are considered to be in.

ScubaPete's media lesson:

Memorex as an excellent example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example., Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which "pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !
    2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life and Verbatim DataLife plus are among the better discs we're looking for OR any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO." - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 RiData, Ritek, TDK, Sony or Verbatim discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 "Cheapo's with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don't work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts varying amounts, true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

And the link......

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

5. bobesox

bobesox Member

Well, like I said - I'm a newbie - probably deserve a "whoopin'". It won't take much to convince me to "agree to buy some good stuff". I'll try. But, again, I'm just tryin to back up some jpegs, mpegs, etc. The quality of the one 4GB disk I burned was excellent.

Later today, following your guidelines, I'll buy some "quality" media. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I usually shop online, but those who buy from retailers have mentioned looking for "made in japan" on the package. no korea, usa, china, or anything.

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

well crap, got an update from bobesox.

8. Kingd

Kingd Guest

It's still unclear what your using to burn with. Nero is very good but can get fouled up if you also put easy cd creator on it. What exactly was your problem with nero? Right now it's either the software that stinks or the drive is bad.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The fact of the matter is - The majority of the pple here have had problems with Roxio and Nero on the same PC. Some very few have gotten them working BUT it would seem that you are in the majority - (Me too, go figure ?)

So you need to uninstall them both as Roxio has totally messed up Nero. Once you've done a "clean" uninstall then we can bring Nero back and all will be right with the world - -

Sooo, here's a guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio (not unusual) try this -

Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper –

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU YOU DID ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Now let's see how we do -

Pete

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  10. Kingd

Kingd Guest

ScubaPete: Wow Pete, do ya ever post anything in under 50 words? haha j/k ;). I don't know how you do it man :).

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Although it's tough, sometimes I do what I think it takes to help pple through their problem -

Cheers,

Pete

12. bobesox

bobesox Member

Hey, you guys are great! Thanks for all your help.

Here's the new deal - Fry's is once again in possession of the Empress 16x Dual Layer DVD burner along with the Nero software. I traded it in for a Pioneer 16x Dual Layer with Ulead software. I actually had a successful 4GB burn last night. It still doesn't feel solid and I get a Windows "Recovery of a serious error" message when I boot up XP. Says there is a graphics driver error. No doubt. I'm gonna try those cleaning tools you suggested. I got too much junk on my system. Easy CD Creator, the remnants of Nero, and the ATI Multimedia Center (All in Wonder Radeon 7500). A lot of folks on the web say that ATI MMC is a piece of crap. Any opinions on that? That's a whole 'nuther isse - one thing at a time.

_bs

13. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Pete,
    I can't figure out how you knew bobesox had roxio unless he PM'd you.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No PM,

I didn't know - :p)

15. zippyd

zippyd Active member

You have to love a good old fashioned lucky guess. ;)

16. bobesox

bobesox Member

How did Pete know I had Roxio Easy CD Creator on my PC? Because -- Pete's brilliant!

Hey guys --I'm back!

My Pioneer with Ulead works (I guess it was the software(?)). I've backed-up my critical files (2@ 4GB ea.) no prob. Burned a two-sided DVD movie(The Man Who Would Be King) on two separate blank DVD's. Boy, I was proud of myself. Luckily I followed "ScubaPete's Guide for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter" carefully. Cool.

Now, just in case "something unforeseen happens like an ice flow hitting North Texas and freezing the original", I decided to back up "The Hurricane" (Denzel Washington). Got an error in DVD Shrink 3.2:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to read file "E:\"
    Copy Protection Error - The read file failed because the sector is encrypted.

Encrypted? I thought thats what DVD Decrypter was for. It seemed to decrypt the "previews of coming attractions" (I was watching the preview during the rip) but when it got to the body of the movie it stopped and about two minutes later - error. Tried twice.

OK - make me feel stupid....

_bobesox

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

You are 100% correct and 100% incorrect at the same time. I bet you're thinking how is that possible? Well hold your horses and let me explain.

It seems to me that you are thinking that Decrypter is working with Shrink and breaking that copy protection for you. Well that is incorrect. Shrink has it's own ability to break copy protection, but as you've discovered, isn't quite as strong as Decrypter.

So here's where you are correct.... when you get that error in Shrink, try using Decrypter. You can either select Mode File or Mode ISO>R. You'll need a spare 7-8 Gigs on the HD for this. Make sure you either set up a special folder for Decrypter to rip to or you know exactly where it's putting it. When it's done, go back and select Mode ISO>W for burning when your done in shrink.
    Now we can open up Shrink and open our rip. How we do this depends on what mode we used to rip the disc.
    For file mode simply click the open files button in Shrink and find your rip.
    For ISO Read mode Click File--->select open disc image in Shrink and find your ISO.

I trust that you know what to do onece you open your ripped files in Shrink.
    Hopefully I haven't confused you too much.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You might wish to tweak your DVD Decrypter up a bit -

I'd like you to check your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO/BUP PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO/BUP PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

Under "Mode" we have a choice of either File or ISO Read to rip our DVD. The main page S/B self explanatory - Now, go rip our happy heart out - :)

OK, Here it is - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Take it out for a "spin" around the block, Check under the hood, Kick the tires and climb inside and smell that "New DVD Decrypter" "smell". Go home, talk it over with the wife and, if you feel in the morning the way you do now, come back and I'll put you behind the wheel of a Brand new DVD Decrypter at a price so low, you'll think it was free. Huuummm, come to think about it, it is FREE - Well,

What are you waiting for ?[/b

Remember to stop back and tell me how you feel about it once you've put some "mileage" on it -

Cheers,

Pete

ISO_R to ISO-W
    HINT: If you are going to burn with DVD Decrypter, DON'T FORGET TO - go back to DVD Decrypter after ripping, to reset the "Mode" from "ISO - Read" to "ISO - Write".

File to ISO-W
    HINT: If you are going to burn with DVD Decrypter, DON'T FORGET TO - go back to DVD Decrypter after ripping, to reset the "Mode" from "File" to "ISO - Write".

19. bobesox

bobesox Member

Hey guys, I think I'm gettin' the hang of this (I'll probably regret saying that and come back begging for help tommorrow!).

So the order goes like this:
    1. Crack it (decrypt)
    2. Rip it
    3. Shrink it
    4. Burn it

Is that right? Anyway, I tweaked a few of the DVD Decrypter settings as suggested by Pete. I watched it try to decrypt about 30 times. I assume it was trying different methods. I closed it and tried again. Got it.

Here's one for ya. When I rip to my hard drive it saves it as an "Easy CD Creator Image File". Thats weird, because my Easy CD Creator is only for audio files. When I click it I go to Easy CD 5 - but of course can't do anything with it. It still burns fine. I really don't need that program anymore. What would happen if I uninstall it?

Thanks again,
    Later

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey bobesox,

Well for one, you'd probably be given a rousing cheer -

Roxio screws up a lot of DVD backup proggys. DVD Decrypter, Nero and a 1/2 dozen more -

a guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

"WHOAH there partner, I didn't say I wanted to get rid of Nero ~" No, you didn't. BUT if you had Nero on your PC along with Roxio then Nero almost assuredly has a corrupted file or 3. Just in case, so matters don't go "downhill," let's get everything up and running and in perfect shape. To do so, let's do a "CLEAN UNINSTALL" with Nero and then install it in perfect condition.

You say you have Roxio. Roxio is, IMO, the worst program you can have on your PC if you wish to work with DVD Video. It does it's best to trash almost every other DVD backup proggy there is except DVD Shrink. One extremely good program, Nero, is one that Roxio messes with the most. True there are a very few pple who have them both on their PC BUT by far, the vast majority of pple who have had them both on their PC's have had major headaches and have had to get rid of Roxio. As I'm sure any search through our threads will show you it's a wise decision. Even getting rid of Roxio is a problem as it weaves itself all through your system and you require a special proggy to get rid of it even after you've uninstalled it.

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator or one of his henchmen.

The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -
    Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.htm

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN, WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Now let's see how we do -

Pete

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004