1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing Software, Using Programs or Something

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by BluRay, Apr 17, 2007.

1. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hi all, ok I am going to get straight to the point, and I might sound like a dumbass doing so.
    I want to start trying to write programs, how do I do this?

I have nothing in mind yet, I just want to know what program is used to write other programs, you know like html can be written using notepad as well as CSS. What do people use to make "proper" programs, something like a photoviewer or something, what do programmers use to write their software in? And how do you make .exe files and installers?

Well basically I need a kick start, are their any suggestions on what program I should use to make Open Source Software?

BR

PS. I dont want any Visual C++ Suggestions, unless if you really want to.
    Thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Maybe you should read this

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

To make an .exe file you first write the source code, you can use any test editor for that, then you run it through a piece of software called a "compiler", this makes "object code". Next, you have to "link" the object code (using, guess what? a program called a "linker") with various libraries to make an executable file.

There are apps called IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) which include an editor and allow you to write and run programs all from the same app.

That's all. It's quite simple really. The hard part is getting the source code right.

There's nothing wrong with Visual C++, except that it's not open source.

You could use gcc though, I suppose. That is open source.

http://www.mingw.org/