1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

writing speeds

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by katgem, Aug 10, 2005.

1. katgem

katgem Member

hi, i'm sure this has been asked before, but i tried doing a search, but didn't know how to phrase it, as it was quite specific. i'm still a newbie to recording media, so forgive me if this is a very obvious point, but i just needed to make sure - i have a panasonic DMR-E55EB/EBL recorder and it has a 1-4x speed function. up till now, i have been using 1-4x speed discs but i've just bought some maxell dvd-r's off play.com, 4.7GB, 120 min etc, which all matches up with my panasonic's requirements, except that they are 1-8x speed. will this knacker up my recorder, or will it be fine? (there's a warning on the side of the disc spindle saying 'Your drive or recorder may be at risk of damage if you use this disc in certain DVD-R/RW drives/recorders that do not conform to using high speed discs'; so i got a bit edgy!)

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Higher rated DVD discs may not be as backwards compatible with your standalone as your PC's burner. For example, your 4X PC burner can burn on 8X and above discs (at 4X), but your standalone may or may not. Usually, your manual will tell you what the max speed of the discs it can read/write. It may not recognixe higher-rated speed discs. Do you know if your standalone is firmware upgradeable? I have a Sony GX300 and you cannot upgrade the firmware, but with ILOs, you can. If you use higher rated media and it reads and burns fine, I'd assume your recorder would have no problems.