1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

writing to DVD-/+RW media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Doohickey, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Greetings all, ;)

Could someone please go over the correct procedure for burning to dvd rewritable media. I've had much trouble in the past with cd-rw's and I don't want to make the same mistake with the pricier DVD RW's. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but they never seem to want to erase or reformat or allow further writing, they act like a closed cd. I'll most likely be burning with nero. Let me know if you need additional info.
    Thanks in advance,
    Doohickey ;)

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

hey Doohickey, if your using shrink to burn a movie, in preference's it should ask you if you want to erase the re-writable befor burning.. check that box

3. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Hey geestar,
    Thanks for that, I've seen that option in nero too. But what if it's a new (blank)RW? Do you use RW media the same way you would other formats? I've been reading all this stuff about having to use packet writing software ...(Nero's is InCD, Roxio's is Drag to Disk, etc.) for writing and reading RW's, but I never read anything here about using that for burning DVD's. I just downloaded and scoured Nero Burning Rom's user guide and there is no mention of using CD/DVD RW media.
    Sorry to be so dumb on this subject,(red face)but what I need is a "guide for DVD-RW Dummies"

For instance:
    Do you have to format the new disk first? If so, how?
    Whats the proper write method? Disk at once, track at once, multisession, finalize, leave open, etc... ackkkk!
    What program(s) would you use to back up a movie to a DVD-/+RW disk? The same as DVD-R? In other words, can I use the same Shrink/Nero method that I use now for DVD+R media? etc. etc. etc....

Everybody keeps saying, "if you want to avoid making coasters, try using DVD-RW's first". Sounded like excellent advice to me so I went out and bought some Verbatim DVD+RW's. Now I just need to learn how to use them, lol.
    Can you or anyone out there help? Or if you know of a link to this information, that would be great too.
    Thanks again,
    Doohickey ;)

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi doohickey
    You use an rw the same way you use a r,the only thing thats different is that a rw is rewrittable(hence the rw=rewrittable).
    you do not have to format the disc,its good to go right out of the package.You use disc at once not track at once,most burning programs will ask you if its ok to write over the disc,it does in nero.
    Follow this guide to burn with nero,it should have all the setting you need. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php
    hope this is all the info you need.
    please read and consider signing this petition,it could eventually effect us all..http://www.petitiononline.com/fairuse/petition.html
    good luck
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  5. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Hey Jim,
    Thanks for your response. I was a little skeptical that it could be as simple as merely popping in a RW instead of an R. I'm glad to hear thats all ya have to do. I'll try it today!

A few more questions have come up, if you could be so kind...
    1) say you just burned a movie to a RW disk, as a trial run before risking a R disk...and you would like to eventually erase and use that RW disk again.
    Will the RW disk:
    Play on a standalone player (that supports RW format), or only on the computer for reviewing the results? I always thought a disk had to be finalized to play on a standalone, and once finalized the disk gets write protected and can't be written to again. At least thats the way it seems to be with my CD-RW's. Or, I could easily be doing something wrong, lol. Are DVD-RW's different?
    2) Say you are pleased with the results and are ready to copy to a DVD-R so you can (hopefully) use the RW disk again. Would you then do a "disk copy", of the RW?..., or is better to re-burn from the files on your hard drive.
    Thanks in advance, Doohickey ;)
    ...by the way, I read and signed the petition ;)

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi doohickey
    Ive heard that rw's wont play in alot of standalones, but i have 3 very finicky panasonic 5 disc changers, and they play in them.So i guess it depends on the players compatibility.Im fairly new to this stuff myself, so when i first started out,i burned everything to an rw,and then previewed it on my standalones,then i either did a disc to disc copy,or burned the files again.I really didnt see much difference in doing it either way,worked fine for me.Some people here suggest not to copy on the fly,which is what disc to disc copying is,i havent had a problem doing it,altho i might just have been lucky.

thanks for signing that petition,i hope everyone will follow suit.
    happy trails
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  7. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Thanks Jim..I appreciate the info. You didn't say, but I'm assumming you were then able to use the RW's again with no problem. Now I'm wondering (lol, always new questions)how many times it's recommended to re use a DVD-RW before you might start suffering a loss of quality. Any thoughts on this anyone?
    Thanks, Doo ;)

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive reused mine several times so i dont know if there is a set limit on how many times you can or cant,but if you find out,let me know lol

9. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

It seems I did read something about this in here somewhere, but now I can't find it. Maybe it wasn't even this forum that I read it, I dunno, but I remember being surprised that the number was so low, something like 6-10 times maybe. Anyone?
    Doo ;)

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If that really is true,then you can always preview your files in your dvd rom player,ie. windvd powerdvd etc.I use powerdvd now instead of the rw's just to make sure i have sound,its in the right language,and its not diretors comments,etc,or if one just didnt seem to rip right.

11. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Good point, I'll remember that.
    Thanks Jim!
    Doo ;)