1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong Size at Spliting

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by FlowBax, Jul 9, 2007.

1. FlowBax

FlowBax Member

Hey!

I just converted a movie DVD-XviD and the avi file is 1400 MB. Now I tried to split at 700 MB with VirtualDub. The problem is that the first file had around 1h 10 min of video and the second file had 54 min. Both files were 699 MB. How do I get the file lenght to match. Because the movie is 2h and 4 min and I would like both files to have around 1h 2 min of video each. I don't always get the problem

File info.

Movie Lenght: 2h and 4 min
    File Size: 1.36 GB
    Video: 1182 kbps XviD
    Audio: 384 kbs AC3 5.1

2. attar

attar Senior member

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/cut_avi_with_virtualdub.cfm

You can only get it close to the half time point with VirtualDub, because it must cut the video at a 'key frame'.
    You find that the times are very close to equal, but the file sizes are mega bytes different.

If you don't use key frames, if you rejoin the clips with VirtualDub, the resulting file will be out of sync.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If the video and or audio is VBR then half way time wise will not always be half way size wise. Especially considering that the credits may take up a fair chunk of the second half (assuming that you encode the credits at a lower bitrate). If you have 2 699MB files, then I really can't see a problem and if you were to make them both the same length, then the second one would be larger than 700MB's.