1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(x)svcd onto dvdr? is it possible?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by greatcapp, Aug 19, 2002.

1. greatcapp

greatcapp Guest

i can burn xsvcd etc onto 2 cdr's, but i want to get the whole of a movie onto a dvdr instead. is this possible, cos it seems the way of creating a dvdr from a dvd9 is so so complex(still trying after a week!)i can get the svcd files ok by using tmpgenc, but how can i then burn them onto dvdr so they'll play in my standalone?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

SVCDs wont do it, as the SVCD resolution of 480x480/576 is not a DVD resolution.

But here's a tip that I use:

Download DVD2SVCD and use it (excellent results, as it fills your CDs, does the audio perfectly, etc) to produce CVDs (yes, C V D, not V C D) -- use 74min CDs (bitrate tab). You get CDs that play back on virtually all DVD players that support SVCD, _BUT_ those files can be put on DVD-R as well, because their resolution is 352x480/576 instead of 480x480/576 -- and that resolution _IS_ DVD compatible. So, your files work on both -- CDs and DVD-Rs and you can fit nicely two or three movies on one DVD-R if you don't mind small drop in quality.

3. greatcapp

greatcapp Guest

thanx for the advice, but i've tried using dvd2svcd before and had real problems with it(especially using it with cce). i do, however have templates for tmpgenc that will allow me to encode to 352x480/576, so what i'm trying to find out is if i can burn those onto dvdr's, and if i can, which software is best for doing it. i have dvdit, prassi primo, nero etc, thanx

4. dRD

Any authoring software should be able to do it. And you're fine with TMPGEnc as DVD2SVCD is just a front-end to several tools, so you can do it manually, as you already knew.

5. greatcapp

greatcapp Guest

ok, thanx again. sorry to b a pain in the butt, but just to clarify.... i used to encode using tmpgenc to make xsvcd's and sometimes CVD's too, so is there a way that i can do this how i used to, but instead of burning to 2 seperate cdr's, burn to dvdr instead(as my dvd standalone was capable of playing these xsvcd's or svcds. the result that i actually want to achieve, is to get as near to dvd quality movie, but all on 1 disc(dvdr).

6. dRD

IFOEdit is still the best way to do it -- stripping out unnecessary streams and leaving the video without re-encoding makes 1:1 DVD copies, but as you said in your first post, it is kinda difficult to learn.

7. dalboy

dalboy Member

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/svcd2dvdr.htm
    If you really want to put your svcds on to a dvdr use the link above. Used it before and seems to work fine. If you can strip all off a dvd to fit just movie onto a dvdr I would recommend it for the quality of playback