1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x1900 crossfire vs 8800 ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by chamonofx, Jun 14, 2007.

1. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

oh ok I know some games work better for sli than crossfire and viceversa, but same thing happens with nvidia / ati ...

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

So do you guys think it would be worth trying to just rebuild my current computer in a few months when I get some money. Or should I just leave that one and start over.

I would give you my specs, but this has nothing to do with the original post. So I will continue over in the "Official PC Building Thread".

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's alright, we've answered the original Post. I will see you in the PC building thread.

4. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

I don't mind if you guys wanna continue here anyway :)
    I usually build my pc every 2 years with 100% new parts, and change the video card probably once in those 2 years.
    This one might last a little bit longer thou , due to the fact i got very high end (at least for me) parts when I bought it. I might just get the 8800GTS 640mb when the 8900 is released , for the price drop.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm contemplating an 8900, depending on how much better they are than the GTX. If they're only a minor improvement, I may hang on to my X1900 a bit longer.

6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I feel like I should have already gotten an 8800 GTS instead of the 7950 GT. But I don't have Vista and when I put a thread up asking what card I should get at the time, everybody told me to go with the 7950 GT because the 8800 GTS had a lot of problems and drivers issues. And also said that I couldn't even use DX10 without Vista (which I knew already). But I still feel like I should have gotten it so I wouldn't want to be upgrading right now.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Directx10 issue is still bull, there still aren't any games that require DX10 cards to look their best, and Vista still annoys me. (For a start it's not compatible with my PC, for reasons unknown). On average the 8800GTS is 50-51% faster than the 7950GT, but notably 168% faster in Oblivion Outdoors. This, however is for the 640MB version.
    In the UK the 7950GT is £123 and the 8800GTS £247 (From Scan)
    In the US the 7950GT is $200 and the 8800GTS $380 (From Newegg)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  8. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

That might have to be my next upgrade. Either that or a Core 2 Duo. And if I did get a Core 2 Duo I would want either the E6600 or the E6700, probablly. But I've heard that the E6600 overlocks a lot better.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're an overclocker get the 6600. that ocs to pretty much the same speed as the 6700.

10. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I don't know the first thing about overclocking to to tell you the truth. The main reason is because all of my previous computers have been store bought, so I couldn't overclock them. I do know that how high you can overclock depends on different parts of your system such as your ram and motherboard and not just the processor. And I think the more heat you can get rid of the higher you can overclock. So I guess that would be why water cooling would be better (and quieter). I know you change the multiplier to get different speeds. But thats about all I know. If I tried to overclock anything I don't know how far I would get.

But I have heard of some people such as DocTY getting 3.4 GHz and sometimes I've heard 4 GHz + mentioned.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No time like the present to start learning! I never bothered before, but when I got a Core 2 Duo, it was a breeze.

12. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

So I suppose it's definitely worth your time to overclock a Core 2 Duo?

13. docTY

docTY Regular member

yes, while they are fast stock w/ NO overclocking, given the chance and the general ease of doing so, why not? given the right combination of components and the right guidance, i can teach ANYONE with an open mind and some patience towards a healthy overclock :)

docTY

14. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Sounds good, I'll let you know when I get the parts, it's going to be a while before I can do it though. But thanks.

But while I'm shoping around and saving, which Core 2 Duo would you recomend? I think my budget should be around $700 for the motherboard and processor, the rest of the parts I will take from my current computer. But I still don't know if I will need new ram or not. It's DDR2 but thats all I know.

Thanks again.

15. docTY

docTY Regular member

@spenman91

i don't want to further detract from the original topic of this thread and to the original poster...i will be more than happy to continue with my thoughts and recommendations in the pc building thread~ see u there.

16. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

just if anyone reads this... I managed to put the fan to the ninja , and took out 1 of the extractors. Wow I got 6-8 C LESS now! This is pretty amazing. Sctyhe Ninja plus owns!

EDIT: processor idle 23-24
    load 28-29

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Great temps, which CPU?

18. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

E6600
    core 2 duo running @ 3.15ghz
    EDIT: week 27 :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's incredible, congrats!

20. chamonofx

chamonofx Regular member

Thanks! :D
    EDIT: I also cleaned the case when I opened it, and I wonder if this made a considerable difference, cos it was DIRTY as hell, and the temps I get now are just way lower. I mean, I was getting 55 C on load, now I get 29 wtf!
    I also rearranged the cables inside to allow a better air flow, I had them all neat but for some reason some dettached, so I needed to reorganize them. Anyway, I assume it's a combination of everything, but clean case + aerocool (25 cm side fan and 10 cm front fan) + scythe ninja plus with fan attached to it + good air flow + extractor + cables arranged = LOW temps and me happy :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007