1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X310 HP Data Vault After full factory restore still asks for pw

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by FREELOWDR, Feb 29, 2012.

1. FREELOWDR

FREELOWDR Member

Long Story Short:

Will cloning the hdd of 1 X310 to the other cause a licensing conflict in Windows Home Server?

Long Story:

I have 2 HP X310 data vaults which come with Windows Home Server. Each is on a seperate network. Everything was fine until recently I tried to log onto one of them and my password no longer seemed to work. After some research I found that the only way to fix the password on the X310 is by running the recovery disc. After a full factory reset I tried to connect and found it was still asking for a password. This is strange considering it said after the installation that all accounts had been wiped. Naturally my options were limited at that point as this is a headless system and I'm at the mercy of the network restore disks that came with it. The simplest solution I can think of is to take my other working X310 and clone the hdd over. I'm certain it will work but once both systems are online I'm worried it will create a license conflict and then I'll be in a heap of trouble.

My main question is will there be a licensing conflict? My second question is about the restore disc.

Although the recovery disc worked with windows after connecting directly to the computer with a regular RJ45 cable, I found that the restore disc which must be launched at boot from a remote computer seemed to have trouble connecting. If recovery worked from windows without a hitch, could someone please tell me why this boot disc would have difficulty connecting? The drivers seem to be in order and I fail to see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance.

2. nimd4

nimd4 Member

Password to log into your Windows account?.. Just crack it with a program, until you can figure it out. Winternals Administrator Pack with ERD Commander 2005 worked for me in the past, dunno about the other ones. =)

PS.
    This is probably the worst advice, like ever. xD

3. FREELOWDR

FREELOWDR Member

ERD commander was actually the first thing I used after I couldn't log into RDT. After using ERD I got back into the RDT but was unable to change the WHS console password. After running the HP recovery disc on it a second time it worked. I can't explain what happened.

PS
    Hey HP, it's ridiculous that you haven't added a note to the recovery instructions stating that you can use a regular CAT5e cable to directly connect to the server to run the recovery.