1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBIT solderless chip 1.5 sucks

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by whackerj, Nov 8, 2004.

1. whackerj

whackerj Member

On the first 1.5 XBIT chip I got the crappy connector broke off before I coult try it out. Because of this I couldn't program the chip.
    Now I have a new chip and conector. The programming in windows XP goes fine. Somethimes when I verify the data I get an error.
    But if I boot up the xbox the led on the connector turns on, but I keep getting the standard xbox bios.
    I have tried several biosses and refitting and cleaning the pogopins. Nothing works.

2. Brown85

Brown85 Member

I have the same problem. I have no idea whats going on with it and I've searched endlessly and found very little answers other than to change the bios and I've been through quite a few. If you find anything though, let me know. You've made it alittle further than I have though. When I have the chip connected the xbox just turns on and off and I get no video. I've checked the connection maybe 20 times now and have been fooling with this POS for about 6 hours now.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  3. whackerj

whackerj Member

And ur sure you don't have the 1.6?
    Maybe I will solder the pinholes to ad some extra connection surface.
    Maybe the pogopins are in the wrong spot?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  4. Brown85

Brown85 Member

positive it's not a 1.6 The pogo's may be off..thats crossed my mind a few time but I've checked em, but the only one I can tell is in place is the D0. If the sodering works for ya tell me because I'm in the direction just not going to attempt it unless it'll truly work.

5. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

The XBIT solderless chip, is not a very good chip. There are many people that have issues with them.

The DMS team really has made a poorly designed chip for the xbox. its a shame to see this, especially since they make such nice chips for the PS2 like the DMS4.

The quality of the xbit in general sucks, pogo pins fall off occasionally they are next to impossible to align (sometimes, other times they can go in without a hitch)

If you are looking for a solderless chip there are much better solutions then an XBIT.

6. Brown85

Brown85 Member

I finally got the chip installed, I think...the light comes on on the chip so I assume it's working. Problem is, the reason I bought the chip is because the HD crashed and it was my understanding I could use another xbox harddrive with it and it would work fine...well it still isn't working and I still get the damn 06 error code when I turn it on. I don't know what the problem is now but I'm about to send this chip back and get my money back.

7. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

what drive are you replacing it with?? another drive from another xbox?? if thats the case is this replacement DRIVE LOCKED or unlocked?

and finally you do know you need files on the new hard drive in order for the system to work properly.

another question, have you flashed this chip yet???

as you do know it comes BLANK...

8. Brown85

Brown85 Member

Yeah, I'm replacing it with another x-box drive. I have flashed the bios multiple times with Evox M7, M8, & X2. I'm aware that I need files on it but I assumed since it came from another x-box that I wouldn't really need to mess with that. I'm pretty sure the hard drive is unlocked. I've seen methods of how to lock it back but all of them state that it would only work with the mother board it came from. At this point I'm trying a differen't media for an auto-installer and hoping it works, but the way things are going for right now I'm just SOL. Although any help you could provide me with would be absolutly wonderful. Thanks.

9. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

I would guess your drive is locked....

if you didnt unlock it then i am sure its locked...

try another HD or get this current one unlocked.

10. Brown85

Brown85 Member

I talked a friend of mine into allowing me to use his xbox to unlock my harddrive. Before I do it though I would like some input on the way to do it. I found this tutorial (http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/6.htm) Curious if that would work or not.

11. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

There are many ways to do this, it really depends on what your friends xbox has in it. Is it modded?? if so does it/you have recent copy of the EvoX dashboard?? IF so you can unlock your hard drive through the options in the Evox Menu

You can also use the slayers auto installer disc to unlock the hard drive.

there are many tools that will allow you to do this, I just need to understand your situation a bit better.

12. Brown85

Brown85 Member

He doesn't have the evox dashboard and I'm even lucky he's letting me touch it (already fried one in my time.) Matter of fact I'm pretty sure that the current hard drive that I'm trying to drop in has the evox dashboard. Actually, I know it does. I've tried the auto-install cd before, like I said, but I'm pretty sure the media I'm using just won't work. Maybe if you can make some suggestions about a form of media then that would work.

13. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

well the fact of the matter is if you have evox installed on this hard drive and it was not locked it would boot up and you wouldnt be having issues.

So I am pretty sure that this drive is infact locked.

try this tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/recover-locked-hd.php

14. Brown85

Brown85 Member

Is that my only option out of this?

15. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

or get a new drive....