1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBMC help

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Wylee, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Wylee

Wylee Guest

sorry if im getting on ppls nurves with my stupidity :( but, ive read around and what i am trying to do is this.

Trying to do:
    -Connect my xbox to my PC so i can stream media from my pc so i can listen/view what ever i have on pc, on my xbox. Possibly even listen to shoutcast radio stations using my xbox.
    -Also if there is an XBMC with Liksboks integrated into it so all the formats XBMC can support Linksboks will also be able to support, that way i can go to the radio stations website and click the "listen live" button and listen to it like that.
    What i have is:
    -XBMC (dunno what build, ive read somewhere u need "XBMC build newer than 10 July 2006". i dont know waht i have.
    - FTP accsess to my xbox, via router (not sure if its cat5 cables or wutever, all i know is that i can send to and fro using flash fxp.
    -Softmodded xbox (probably 1.6, not too sure)
    -3 gigs free on hdd (if that matters)
    -Windows media connect (not sure if this matters either.

Thanks for all the help

2. maynard1

maynard1 Member

Hey,
    I can only answer the router, ftp question, a crossover cable available at radio shack for about thirteen dollars, ip address slightly off with flash fxp ie. 192.168.0.100 (xbox) 192.168.0.1 (xbox). Hope this helps..

3. Wylee

Wylee Guest

dosent realy help but thanks anyways, i think i got a cat5 cable but that dosent realy matter,cuz i can already ftp to my box so i know i have the right requirements. but thanks anyways man.

4. maynard1

maynard1 Member

meant to say 192.168.0.100 (computer's ip), sorry!! Also try core ftp lite an amazing alternative to flash!!

5. Wylee

Wylee Guest

aight

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, get this latest version of XBMC

http://217.118.215.116/

Follow the instruction from that site on how to install (Just FTP over).

To get the Xbox to connect to the PC:

Firstly you need to set up a user account in Win XP as a limited user! Call it "xbox" and give it the password "xbox" (without the quotes).

Now select the folders you want to share in XP by right clicking on the folder and then click 'Sharing and Security'.

Click on 'Share this folder', then permissions.

[​IMG]

On the Permissions screen, highlight 'Everyone' and click on remove. Then click 'Add'.

On this screen, enter 'xbox' and click 'Check Names'. It should show up as 'XP\xbox', click OK.

[​IMG]

If all went well, the front screen should now look like this...

[​IMG]

Click 'Apply' to save the changes. The Folder can now be seen by the Xbox and should look like this...

[​IMG]

All that's left now is to setup the xbox. In the XBMC Settings menu, go to 'Network/Servers', enable FTP and HTTP, set your user name to 'xbox' and your pass as 'xbox'. That's it!

Navigate through the XBMC menus, it should find your computer name and allow you acces to the folders you have set permissions for. You can then make shortcuts within XBMC to make finding folders easier!

Hope this helps!!!

7. Wylee

Wylee Guest

wow, lots of thanks for going thru the trouble but i got it down styll. i can accses all the files or inside the Shared documents. I still wanna figure out how to listen to radio strams on xbmc tho, or to make it my default dash, but i the dash thing i think i can get done by tomorow, the radio stations is my new biggest concern. The shared documents is accsesible if i choose WORKGROUPS (SMB) in xbmc, thanx alot man, wish u cud help me like that on this homework i gota do now :(

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not a problem, it's really only a couple of minutes to do the "How To" tutorials when you have the right software!

As for streaming!? I don't stream, nor have I tried, but now that you have access to the network, you'll work it out!

Use AID 4.0 to setup XBMC as the dash, it's really easy! If you are softmodded, make sure you select it to be the E:\ dashboard, not the C:\! Made that mistake once...

9. steimy

steimy Active member

you should be able to stream shoutcast radio from withing XBMC no problem. As long as the connection is there.
    Also to share files you need to run the network setup wizard on your PC and make a home network first.

10. Wylee

Wylee Guest

ok so how wud i stream? i got the connection, i can get the files taht are on my pc to be accsesible to my xbox, i hurd u have to make a text file but name the extension ".strm" with the link to the stream inside the file then open it in xbmc, this dosent work, is there an alternative?

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I've just had a look at my XBMC, If I go into 'My music', there a folder called 'Shoutcast Directory'. Click on that and pick for the thousands of stations!? They are working, and I've never used them before...

12. steimy

steimy Active member

mine actually works a bit differently, this site may also help you.
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Music
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOW-TO:_Play_Internet_Streams

Mine is a chipped system and i used Salyer 2.6 to set it up. BUt i did not have to create any files in order to stream shoutcast to my Xbox. I have not used mine in a while so i am going off of memory which is vague. With mine i would go into Music and there were several networks listed there. Mine i would go into a folder called SMB and in there was shoutcast. You click on it and it would bring up music catagories. Click on a catagory and it would list all the stations. Then click on a station and it will connect.

13. Wylee

Wylee Guest

alright thanks steimy, but wenever i try to connect to anyother network other than the one called WORKGROUPS it says cannot connect to server. and the links u put ive already seen, thats what ive been trying to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Are you using the XBMC from the link I gave above?

15. steimy

steimy Active member

It is hard to tell why it is doing that. There are just too many versions of XBMC out there. I can tell you that the version i have i did not need to do anything special. But like you mentioned above i do know people who have had to add in a little script to the program to have the network set up right. Personally i used one called "Franks XBMC auto installer". You burn it to a CD, stick it in, and like any auto installer it will do the rest for you.

16. Wylee

Wylee Guest

ok ic, well at least i can get the files of my computer, and thats a major step for me so i gess ill juss settle wit that since i can get the radio streams off the pc, so thx guys for all ur help

And chunkhead, the link dont work, i get to the page but when i click download it says page cannot be displayed, but its ok

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The link is still working for me!? Maybe you have some browser settings stopping you? You want the latest XBMC SVN build.

18. Wylee

Wylee Guest

can u try givin me another link? it still wont work if not then 4get it its ok

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

20. Wylee

Wylee Guest

says "cannot find server"