1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX 2 INFO

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by sumdude, Feb 4, 2005.

1. sumdude

sumdude Member

hey im just wondering if any of you guys kno anything abot the xbox 2 like graphics card, memory, speed, etc, etc. and what is hd-dvd and is it like graphic card cd thing. srry i dont kno these things. and anthing you kno officially or herd rumors about tell me abot them. thnx

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

They are supposed to release all this at the next E3 in May if i'm not mistakened. So stay tuned!!!

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Hd-dvd is a new disc type. Like blue-ray it can hold lots of data so games developers have plenty to play with.

Xbox 2 may use hd-dvd but nothing has been confirmed and there is not much info about xbox 2 yet im afraid.

4. sumdude

sumdude Member

is this all the info u guyz kno? cum on i kno sumbody has to kno a couple of specs. if u do plzz tell me

5. halo478

halo478 Member

Here are some specs I got.

-Three IBM-designed 64-bit microprocessors. The combined power of these chips means the Xbox Next will have more computing power than most personal computers. Earlier versions of these PowerPC chips are used in Apple Computer's high-end G5 PowerMac machines now.

-A graphics chip designed by ATI Technologies with speeds much faster than its upcoming R400 chip for the personal computer. This chip will help the next Xbox to display games with the resolution of high-definition TV.

-Compatibility with the original Xbox, which is based on Intel and Nvidia chips, isn't guaranteed. Microsoft is concerned it would cost too much money in hardware or in licensing fees to enable the Xbox Next to play old Xbox games. This is risky in part because Sony's strategy has been to maintain compatibility with its old consoles.

-The machine also will have about 256 megabytes of dynamic random access memory. But Microsoft will upgrade that to 512 megabytes if Sony puts in more. The previous Xbox had 64 megabytes. And lastly, it isn't clear if Microsoft will include the current DVD video technology or Blu-Ray, its successor. Blu-Ray will hold much more data, but it's unclear when it will be ready for market.

-The current Xbox has an eight-gigabyte hard disk drive. That drive is useful for online games and storing game art, but many developers chose not to make use of it. As a result, Microsoft seems to have decided that saving the $50 the hard drive costs outweighs its benefits.

6. MadMexicn

MadMexicn Guest

does anyone kno the release date fr XBOX 2?

7. Jr24

Jr24 Regular member

Heard maybe end of this year but nothin official yet.

8. joschez

joschez Regular member

I have some info here
    http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html

I'll put the following aswell.

The Guts of the Next Box

# CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

# GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

# System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

# Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

# Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

# Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

# Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

# Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

The Software

Microsoft is requiring developers to make all Xenon titles Live enabled. One of the key reasons for this will be revealed in the second part of this story.

Developers are being instructed to plan their games for high-definition. The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. These features are the current minimum requirement.

All Xenon games can be played using custom soundtracks. Owners can also play their own music directly. Supported formats are MP3 and WMA. Files can be encoded up to 320Kbps CBR or VBR stereo. The system is branded a Music Player Service.

For gameplay movies, Xenon uses Xenon Motion Video (XMV). XMV is based on Windows Media 9 and uses the mandatory codec for HD-DVD. The goal for video is 720p running at 30 frames per second with 5.1 Surround Sound.

9. haloxbox

haloxbox Regular member

It is supposed to come out this Fall i heard.

Okay guys, this is all crap, ditch Xbox 2 , no body and I mean nobody knows what Xbox 2 is gonna b like, dont listen to this crap.

10. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

That information is actually what ign has found out from game developers and various sources so alot of it is infact true but not 100% confirmed.

11. joschez

joschez Regular member

12. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

It ok mate, that was the artical i was on about, as i said microsoft havent confirmed it officially yet but it seems likely that will be the system that comes out.