1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 and windows vista Help me please please please

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Adamc2326, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

I really hope you can help me I have been looking through the forums for about an hour and I really can not find what I am looking for.

Here is my problem I am wanting to connect my xbox 360 to my laptop which is on a wireless network to firstly connect to xbox live and also to use the windows media centre options.

I am currently running windows vista (Which I have heard is not a good thing :-( ) I will be connecting the xbox 360 to my laptop via the supplied ethernet cable, I have already attempted this but when the xbox tries to detect my network settings it picks up the xbox is wired but fails when trying to obtain my IP address.

I have checked microsoft website but this really hasn't helped.

What I am hopefully looking for is a step by step process on how to do the above or maybe a link on another forum that might help.

Please help

Looking forward to any response

Adam

2. foz11

foz11 Member

You will need a crossed network cable to connect direct to a laptop i would of thought and the laptop will have to be setup to give an ip address to the xbox or you will need to set this manually on the xbox itself.

Id recommend getting a router then connecting the 360 wired through that...also make sure the laptop is wired on the network or you will have serious performance prolems on media connect with a wired 360 trying to connect to a wireless laptop. (my current setup)

And vista picks the 360 up fine...even has an 360 icon for it in network settings ;)

3. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

Thank you for your quick response I have previously used my ethernet cable to connect to laptop and it worked fine through my wireless network.

Since then I upgraded to windows vista and this is where my problems start I have no idea how to set up windows vista with xbox 360 before when I was on xp I plugged ethernet cable into laptop went to network setup on xbox and it found everything needed and worked fine.

Adam

4. foz11

foz11 Member

The network type your connected to on vista will be set as public i think as default...you need to change this to private for one,

Start menu - control panel - network and sharing centre - about 1/3 of the way down the screen under network map...there is a customize link on the right hand side..click this and set it to private, it will relax some of the security on file sharing etc.

On the same screen under sharing and discovery.

Make sure everything is on apart from printer sharing (obviously wont need this) then just close this all down now...

Open media player and now you have to allow the 360 to see your shared library.

Open media player...press alt+t then click options. Goto the library tab and configure sharing tick the two boxes in there and then create a library for the 360 to view.

5. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

My network type was set up as public so I changed to private and did as you said and shared everything apart from printer file.
    I was already set up in windows media player as sharing dont quite know what you mean when you say " then create a library for the 360 to view."

I have plugged the cable back in but it still wont pick up my ip address just comes up failed?

Also by changing the above settings to private and by sharing all my files does this mean anyone can log into my computer and see my files??

Thank you for your help so far

Adam

6. foz11

foz11 Member

they can only see what you share with them...unless there an administrator on your network but then they can do anything really so dont worry about that.

hopefully you have security on your wireless connection such as WEP (not uncrackable but will keep normal users out)

I dont think vista will assign your xbox an ip address, you may have to do this yourself. Im hoping you know all your network settings you just have to apply these to your xbox with a unique ip then try connecting.

The best solution is a router though...

7. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Yes I do have security on my network like you said WEP.

I do have all my network settings when you say a unique ip address do i just pick one or change the last digit of one I use with laptop?

If I connected straight to a router can I use the media centre facilities?

Adam

8. foz11

foz11 Member

more info on library setup

1. Launch Windows Media Player:

On your Windows Vista PC, launch Windows Media Player.

Click Start -> Windows Media Player.
    2. Turn on the Media Sharing:

Click the arrow below the Library tab, click Media Sharing.
    In the Media Sharing dialog box, check the Share my media to box.
    In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select your Xbox 360.
    click Allow
    click OK

3. Configure the Xbox 360:
    Go to the Media section, select Music -> Picture or Photos.
    Select Computer, press the A button.
    Select YES, Continue, press the A button.
    Select your PC, press the A button.
    Press B button repeatedly until you return to the System section.

you wont need this till after we get the xbox connecting to pc properly

9. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

[/Click the arrow below the Library tab, click Media Sharing.
    In the Media Sharing dialog box, check the Share my media to box.
    In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select your Xbox 360.
    click Allow
    click OK]

When I enter the share media tab all I have in the box is my PC nothing else no picture of my xbox or no mention of it.

Anyone any idea's this is really frustrating I cant understand how it can work one moment on xp then suddenly stop on vista

Cheers
    Adam

10. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

I am having the same problem. no 360 is shown in the shared media tab.

11. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

any ideas????

12. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

anyone???

13. foz11

foz11 Member

To share these files so that you can see them:

Click the Windows Icon, and go into the "Network and Sharing Center" in the Control Panel, or it's labeled "Network" if it's on the start menu.
    In "Sharing and Discovey" section, you'll notice "Media Sharing" at the bottom, click the arrow just to the right of that icon.
    Click "Change" and turn on you're Xbox 360.
    It should show the Xbox 360 on the network, if it does not, check your cable and router setup.
    When you do see it, make sure to allow it to be shared to.
    When it's been configured, go into Windows Media Player 11.
    Click under "Library" and click "Add to Library."

Add all your audio/pictures/videos into your library, and check it out on your Xbox 360!

Have you done as above?