1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Core

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by algtz1, Oct 3, 2007.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I was looking at a product comparison site betweeen the core, 360, and elite systems on Comparison It looks like I may end up buying the core system because according to this site, I can add, storage space, wireless accessories, HD connectivity at a later time. The thing that puzzles me is that the site states that the core doesn't play legacy xbox games while the other 2 systems do. Why is that? Also if I plan to flash the drive once I get the core, will that allow me to play xbox games both originals and backups?

2. Dem0n

Dem0n Member

Dude, you need a hard drive to play backup Xbox Games. See, the 360 isn't completely backwards compatible, so you need a hard drive. The core doesn't come with one, unfortunately.

You must update your console once you have a hard drive. I would recommend downloading and burning the update to a blank CD, and popping it in your Xbox 360. I also believe you're able to take your hard drive to Gamestop/EB and they'll update it for you. If all else fails, people sell the Update discs on eBay frequently for pretty cheap.

If you cannot find the update file, heres the link:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

Hope this helps...and I also highly recommend you pass on the Core route. It's cheaper to just buy a Premium in the long run. You NEED a hard drive, to get the most out of the console. I'm sure you could buy a premium 360, used, from Gamestop/EB for pretty cheap. But, if you do decide to get a Core, remember to at least get a 360 memory unit(memory card).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  3. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I understand. In light of that info, I definately will pass on the core and buy the upgrded 360 with the hdd. What about backups? I read that once you install the backwards compatability update you can play xbox originals. What about backups? Does that require flashing of the drive?

4. mperagine

mperagine Regular member

Yes you need it modded to play Xbox backups.

5. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Last question. Do you need it modded and with an hdd or does the modd trump out the need for the hdd to play backup xbox games.

6. Dem0n

Dem0n Member

Like mperagine said, yes you do need it modded. The console checks to see if a disc is original, no matter if it's regular Xbox or not. If you plan on playing on Xbox Live online, I recommend you don't mod your 360. They(Microsoft) can and most likely WILL ban you from it, for good. There are ways to do it so that they cannot catch you, but from what I've heard, it's rather difficult.

Good luck with your console. It's well worth the money, and it's a media paradise.